Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

permissions issues

What am I missing here??? I have created a shared folder that appears to have read and write permissions for all users. The users are on various portables and imac's throughout the office. However, some files and folders are unable to be opened by other users when placed in the so called Shared Folder. What do I need to do to ensure whoever leaves a file or folder in the Shared Folder will be able to see and alter the contents.

I have a feeling the permissions problem occurs when the folder is created locally on one of the users portables or iMac's. How do I get the server to strip the permissions so that files can be truly shared by all?

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 1:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 3:10 PM

In the sidebar of the Server.app window, select the icon at the top with the name of the server. Then select the Storage tab in the main window pane.

Navigate to the folder in question and select it. From the popup menu at the bottom with a gear icon, select

Edit Permissions...

Verify that the permissions are what they should be, and make changes if necessary. Then, from the same menu, select

Propagate Permissions...

Check all applicable boxes, including Access Control List. If in doubt, check all boxes. Click OK.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2014 3:10 PM in response to SumUser

In the sidebar of the Server.app window, select the icon at the top with the name of the server. Then select the Storage tab in the main window pane.

Navigate to the folder in question and select it. From the popup menu at the bottom with a gear icon, select

Edit Permissions...

Verify that the permissions are what they should be, and make changes if necessary. Then, from the same menu, select

Propagate Permissions...

Check all applicable boxes, including Access Control List. If in doubt, check all boxes. Click OK.

permissions issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.