Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update OS X 10.9.4 - no rights to save the update file

Hello community.

I have a problem with update OS X 10.9.4. After pushing Update button in App Store it gives me a message that I don't have permittions to save the file (513). Few days ago I created new Admin user and deleted old one. I have already tried Recover of permissions rights via Disk utility. All Apps are updating with no problems, but update of the system isn't successful. Admin user has Read/Write rights to whole Hard disk (SSD).

Please help.

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 2:16 PM

13 replies

Jul 9, 2014 6:31 PM in response to Viktor Dovhan

Back up all data.

This procedure will unlock all your user files (not system files) and reset their ownership, permissions, and access controls to the default. If you've intentionally set special values for those attributes on any of your files, they will be reverted. In that case, either stop here, or be prepared to recreate the settings if necessary. Do so only after verifying that those settings didn't cause the problem. If none of this is meaningful to you, you don't need to worry about it, but you do need to follow the instructions below.

Step 1

If you have more than one user, and the one in question is not an administrator, then go to Step 2.

Triple-click anywhere in the following line on this page to select it:

sudo find ~ $TMPDIR.. -exec chflags nouchg,nouappnd {} + -exec chown $UID {} + -exec chmod +rw {} + -exec chmod -N {} + -type d -exec chmod +x {} + 2>&-

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting.

You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. Type carefully and then press return. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command. If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator.

The command may take several minutes to run, depending on how many files you have. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear, then quit Terminal.

Step 2 (optional)

Take this step only if you have trouble with Step 1, if you prefer not to take it, or if it doesn't solve the problem.

Start up in Recovery mode. When the OS X Utilities screen appears, select

Utilities Terminal

from the menu bar. A Terminal window will open. In that window, type this:

res

Press the tab key. The partial command you typed will automatically be completed to this:

resetpassword

Press return. A Reset Password window will open. You’re not going to reset a password.

Select your startup volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name) if not already selected.

Select your username from the menu labeled Select the user account if not already selected.

Under Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs, click the Reset button.

Select

Restart

from the menu bar.

Jul 12, 2014 12:51 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc Davis.

Thanks for reply and sorry for my late reaction. It takes me time to make a backup. In the final I had to delete the old one backup file and create a new. After success backup I have tried Step 1. When I paste the command to Terminal it looks that it takes effect immidiatelly and does not ask me for password. But problem with system updating still present. Shall I try step 2?

Thanks.

Jul 12, 2014 3:02 PM in response to Viktor Dovhan

I posted instructions to disable root logins, using the root password you had already set. Have you done that?

By logging in as root, you may have corrupted the system so that a reinstallation is necessary.

If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance. You can skip this step if you don't care about the data that hasn't been backed up.

Reinstall the OS.* Your data should be unaffected unless something goes wrong. If the system was upgraded from an older version of OS X, you may need the Apple ID and password you used.

If you use FileVault 2, then before running the Installer you must launch Disk Utility and select the icon of the FileVault startup volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name.) It will be nested below another icon with the same name. Click the Unlock button in the toolbar and enter your login password when prompted. Then quit Disk Utility to be returned to the main Recovery screen.

If you installed the Java runtime distributed by Apple and still need it, you'll have to reinstall it. The same goes for Xcode. All other data will be preserved.

*The linked support article refers to OS X 10.9 ("Mavericks"), but the procedure is the same for OS X 10.7 ("Lion") and later.

Update OS X 10.9.4 - no rights to save the update file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.