Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't external show up on Startup Disk?

Hi Applers,

I'm trying to run Leopard off my external HD for my eMAc. My eMac specs agree with Leopard (so I don't think I need Leopard Assist). I installed Leopard on my 500GB hard drive: Nextar 3 enclosure with a Samsung hard drive inside. I formated it, put the cd onto the external HD as instructed, and am using Firewire 400 (on eMac and external HD).

All the research says all I have to do is select it on Startup Disk (under System Preferences) and click restart, or hold the Alt key (Option key in Mac world) and select my external HD when prompted, but it never appears in ether case. However it does appear on my desktop and whenever I'm saving files. I can read/write to it no problem. I checked it using Disk Utilities and nothing seems to be wrong.

Suggestions from other blogs were that eMacs can't read DVD's but I use to watch them all the time on my eMac. Another said I need to install MPlayerX, but it's unsupportable on Tiger so I can't install it. Installed the latest version of MPlayer for Tiger and even MPlayer osx Extended. Still bubkiss. Please help.

eMac:

Machine Model: PowerMac6,4

CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)

Number Of CPUs: 1

CPU Speed: 1.42 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

Memory: 1 GB

Bus Speed: 167 MHz

Boot ROM Version: 4.9.2f1

External HD :

Interface: Serial ATA-300

Buffer Size: 16MB

Drive Transfer Rate: 300 MBps

Internal Data Rate: 135 MBps

Seek Time: 8.9 ms (average) / 18 ms (max)

Track-to-Track Seek Time: 0.8 ms

Average Latency: 4.17 ms

Spindle Speed: 7200 rpm

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 3:14 PM

4 replies

Jul 9, 2014 3:31 PM in response to Edz2

i'm guessing it isn't formatted correctly.

Drive Partition and Format

1. Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.

2. After DU loads select your external hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to APM then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Apply button and wait until the process has completed.

You need to configure this way because you cannot install OS X on that computer with a GUID partitioned drive.

Why won't external show up on Startup Disk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.