Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Same song in two albums, can I consolidate it?

I have the same song in more than one album, can I consolidate it to one file? I've already tried to show the files in finder and use symlinks, but when I play the song in iTunes, it changes the album to the location of the symlink. I'm running out of space on my mac, so is there a way to save space and still have the same song in more than one album?

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 3:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 4:40 AM

You need to buy a new hard drive. Saving a few MB on a handful of songs that occur in two albums isn't going to save you much space. Even if you're talking a GB, well one GB in this world of 3000 GB drives is nothing.

I have never seen anybody successfully do what you want to do partly because iTunes is good at not being tricked by symbolic links and aliases. Even if you could it still wouldn't work. iTunes gets its listing for the track information from the media file itself. A file is always going to end up being listed under one album even if you add it multiple times to iTunes because that's what the metadata in the file tell iTunes. You would have to have two independent sets of tags in the file and I have never heard of this ever being done in any media player or file format.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2014 4:40 AM in response to AlexNeedsAName

You need to buy a new hard drive. Saving a few MB on a handful of songs that occur in two albums isn't going to save you much space. Even if you're talking a GB, well one GB in this world of 3000 GB drives is nothing.

I have never seen anybody successfully do what you want to do partly because iTunes is good at not being tricked by symbolic links and aliases. Even if you could it still wouldn't work. iTunes gets its listing for the track information from the media file itself. A file is always going to end up being listed under one album even if you add it multiple times to iTunes because that's what the metadata in the file tell iTunes. You would have to have two independent sets of tags in the file and I have never heard of this ever being done in any media player or file format.

Same song in two albums, can I consolidate it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.