Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Have 2 user accounts on iMac and want just 1

I just migrated my old MacBook Pro to my new iMac. I now have 2 user accounts but only want 1. I remember it asking me that question during the data migration but I was afraid by choosing just 1 that it would then delete the other one so I chose to keep both. However, now that we have 2 it is annoying and we want just one. How can I merge these 2 accounts without losing anything?

PS I have no idea if I have iMac Intel or PPC, I don't know what those mean but it forces you to choose a community to post to. Thanks!

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 2:36 PM

3 replies

Jul 9, 2014 2:39 PM in response to creedje

1. Choose Go to Folder from the Finder's Go menu, provide /Users/ as the path, drag one account's home folder to the other's desktop, and provide your administrator password. If desired, you can then delete the other account from the Users & Groups pane of System Preferences.

2. If your iMac is a 2006 or newer model, it's an Intel one.

(109232)

Jul 9, 2014 3:04 PM in response to Niel

If I do this, will I lose anything or will it truly merge everything? For instance, if I have 2 iPhoto libraries, what will happen? Or if I have the same email account in each user account (but the content of the email is different because I had one turned off) what will happen to the all the content?

Have 2 user accounts on iMac and want just 1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.