Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I edit title of PDF in iBooks?

I wish to edit some of the titles of PDF's that are in my iBooks to make search a lot easier. Is this possible?

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 3:26 PM

7 replies

Jul 16, 2014 8:53 AM in response to picas

How to Change PDF Titles in iBooks Right on Your iPhone or iPad Itself!

This was driving me crazy, especially as all over the net there are bold statements it CANNOT be done along with convoluted, multi-step, hard-to-follow directions for doing this. They involve transferring to Calibre, or transferring via iTunes then converting, rummaging within container files, editing meta data, etc.

Well, gang , it's easy to change *PDF* titles on your iOS device, iPad, or iPhone, right from within iBooks itself!!

All you need to do is to select the specific book and tap its title! You do that by putting the books into a list view, so that you can see the titles. Then tap a Edit in the upper right corner, select the book (tap the empty circle to its left), then tap the title! That brings up the keyboard. From there, backspace to delete letters or double-tap the title to select it all at once to replace it all at once.

I can't believe how simple it is. Of course, bad Apple, it doesn't work the same way as in other Apple apps, but hey, it's doable. It also doesn't seem to work with ePub books.

For the visually oriented, or for those who find I've made it too simple or left something out, take a gander at this video:

http://www.documentsnap.com/rename-pdf-ibooks/

Note: If you're having trouble making any selection, that's due to Apple's iBooks getting into a weird state every now and then where the empty circles cannot be selected-- for moving, deleting, anything. If that happens, force-quit the app, relaunch, and go to town renaming your PDFs. A couple of times I've also found that rather then being up the keyboard, it turns off the selection.

Happily, files/PDF books that used to be named such things as

pleasuresofteles00servrich

and

popguidetoheaven00ballrich

can be renamed to their proper titles

Pleasures of the Telescope

and

Popular Guide to the Heavens

Hope this helps someone else!

Can I edit title of PDF in iBooks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.