Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I calculate median

I'm using Numbers ('09 version 2.3) and want to calculate the median of a list of numbers that are not in any special order. How do I do it?

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 3:37 PM

7 replies

Jul 9, 2014 4:34 PM in response to Craig ZB

Unfortunately, I think that maybe what you did wrong was to use Numbers. From what I see it only supports the Median function followed by a list of cells rather than a range of cells -- I am basing that on the link I provided above and the fact that it doesn't mention using a range while the similar web page for SUM does: iWork '09: SUM

I did test the function before I replied originally but I used a list of cells and not a range.

Warning -- I'm not an expert on Numbers and there may be an obvious solution that I'm missing (gave up on it and switched to Open Office even though my needs are pretty basic).

Jul 9, 2014 7:20 PM in response to Craig ZB

I think the answer lies in the orange triangle – now if only it explained what was wrong instead of just indicating it with a stupid icon.

What explanatory message do you get when you click on the orange triangle? It may give you a clue to what is going wrong.

MEDIAN works fine here (with row 1 defined as a Header Row, and row 7 as a Footer Row):

User uploaded file

SG

How do I calculate median

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.