Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you use guitar amps with software instruments in GarageBand X?

I have GarageBand 5.1 and I can do this in that, but I haven't been able to find this in GarageBand X (10.0.2).

What I want to do is be able to run various software instruments especially keyboards through the guitar amp sims in GB X. For instance, I'd like to run the tonewheel organ through one of the British amp stacks to get the Jon Lord sound such as that found on the Machine Head album, or run the reed EP through one of the tube combo amps.

In GB 5.1, I can simply go to the Edit tab for the track with the software instrument, click one of the slots to add an effect, and pick Amp Simulation under GarageBand Effects. From there I can configure as I wish (within what's available in GB 5.1). In GB X, I cannot even find where I can do this. I can add AU Effects, but I don't see the Amp Sims there nor anywhere else.

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 3:35 PM

4 replies

Jul 10, 2014 10:55 PM in response to Joe Muscara

The "Edit" tab with the effects has been discontinued in GarageBand 10. You are supposed to pick a patch that has all the effects you need. You can add Audio Units to a Software Instrument track from the Smart Controls, but the fun to be able to freely combine effects is gone.

To add an Audio Unit:

User uploaded file

As a work-around: Bounce your Tonewheel organ track as an audio file and import it to a Guitar track. Then design your custom amp using the Amp controls or add stomp boxes.

User uploaded file

Can you use guitar amps with software instruments in GarageBand X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.