Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes cannot backup the iPad because the backup cannot be saved to the computer.

Hi, I'm unable to backup my ipad2. I keep getting the error "iTunes cannot backup the iPad because the backup cannot be saved to the computer".

I've deleted the backup folder from MobileSync as recommended in other discussions on this site, but no success. The error still returns. I am however able to backup my iPhone. This isn't the first time I've backup either item - in the past it's worked fine for both. I haven't made any changes to my laptop or iPad since my last backup that would have caused this.

Details:

iPad 2 IOS 7.1.2

MacAir, OSX Version 10.9.4

Both are up to date. I've got 55Gb free on the hard drive so I don't think it's a storage issue, I've deleted all videos and new photos from the iPad in case they were corrupting the process (as indicated in other posts), and I've tried a restart - all with no success.

Is anyone able to help??

Thanks very much

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 3:35 PM

16 replies

Jul 9, 2014 4:02 PM in response to Goo_74

I really don't think it will be this simple, but have you reset the iPad? Not restart it, reset it? Reset the iPad, reboot the Mac and try again.

Reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider if it appears on the screen - let go of the buttons. Let the iPad start up.

Jul 9, 2014 4:27 PM in response to Goo_74

If it don't work, it ain't a great idea ..... 😟

The type and font size on the new ASC forum is so small I want to be sure that I read your first post correctly. You are saying that you have 55GB of free space on the MBA as in fifty-five and not 5.5 correct? If it is 55GB free, that's more than enough space, but 5.5GB could be cutting it way too close.

You have tried using different cables, another USB port, removed all unnecessary USB devices, etc? Do you have access to another computer to try as recommended in the support article?

Jul 9, 2014 4:36 PM in response to Demo

Well I appreciate you're trying anyway!

It's 55Gb (approx half my hard drive space), not 5.5Gb. I've tried a brand new cable and a different USB port with no luck. I'll try my old windows based laptop tomorrow (it's getting late here) and let you know how I go.

Thanks again for your support.

Jul 10, 2014 6:26 AM in response to Demo

Unfortunately, no luck with this option either. I really thought it would work, but I'm getting the exact same error on my Toshiba with Window's Vista installed.

iTunes is up to date, Windows is up to date, and there's 40Gb free space on the hard drive. Still not working!

So I guess the troubleshooting is pointing toward an issue with the iPad, or something on it?

Jul 10, 2014 7:52 AM in response to Goo_74

Goo_74 wrote:

So I guess the troubleshooting is pointing toward an issue with the iPad, or something on it?

I tend to agree with this. I just don't know what to do to rectify the situation.

Have you ever reset all settings? You don't lose any data, but you have to enter all of the device settings again....passwords, wallpaper, privacy settings.....all of the settings in the settings app. It could be a corrupt setting (?) causing problems. Settings>General>Reset>Reset all settings.

Have you tried closing all apps and then resetting the iPad?

Jul 10, 2014 8:51 AM in response to Goo_74

I'm afraid that I am running out of ideas. I wish I had another suggestion that I thought would be worth a try. The only things that I can think of would be to contact support here.

https://getsupport.apple.com/ProductSelector.action

Or post again in the iTunes for Mac forum and get a fresh perspective. Nobody else is jumping in here to help, so that would be worth a shot.

iTunes for Mac

I'm sorry that I was of no help to you.

Jul 10, 2014 3:28 PM in response to Goo_74

I'll take a stab at it...maybe an OS X permissions issue?

I recently had an issue where iTunes was throwing an error code -45054 (I don't remember where exactly though but I believe it was when I tried to update apps under iTunes on the Mac) and the solution turned out to be that permissions were set (somehow, I never made the change myself) incorrectly on the Macintosh HD/users/shared/adi folder. The "everyone" was set to "no access". Look for a folder with a small red circle with a dash inside. After setting the permissions for this folder to Read & Write for all (use the Info panel on the folder), the issue cleared. Maybe there's something similar in your case...

Try to run a permissions repair using Disk Utility (Launchpad/Other/Disk Utility) and see if it can clear it up. Note that I just manually set the permissions for that folder using the info panel (you'll need Administrator rights). I don't know if running a Disk Utility permissions repair would've cleared it up that way or not.

iTunes cannot backup the iPad because the backup cannot be saved to the computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.