Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I just access iTunes from my backup HD?

I want to take it off my iMac, and just have one copy on my backup hard drive. Will it work if I do this? If I uninstall it on my iMac, will it want to uninstall it on my HD?

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 4:36 PM

3 replies

Jul 10, 2014 1:23 PM in response to Niel

Thanks Niel, but I should have added that I have TWO backups attached, one just for the iTunes folder. However, the whole POINT to this question is can I, and how can I remove the whole iTunes folder from the computer? I ask this because I have a huge music collection on CD (so I'm not worried about losing files) and I don't think my entire music collection will fit on my iMac. I want it to fit, because I want to activate Bluetooth so I can access my music from my home stereo.

Jul 10, 2014 3:24 PM in response to Red Pod

You may have already done some of this but it is hard to determine exactly what subset of directions you need, so: Quick answer if you use iTunes' default preferences settings: Copy the entire iTunes folder (and in doing so all its subfolders and files) intact to the other drive. Open iTunes and immediately hold down the option (alt) key (shift on Windows) so you get a prompt to select a library, then guide it to the 'iTunes Library.itl' file in the moved iTunes folder.

Can I just access iTunes from my backup HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.