Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inheriting Time Machine to New Macbook

dear all,

i wanted to immigrate my old files from my almost demolished macbook pro (mountain lion).

i could back up via time machine and used the migration assistent for transfering all my files.

that didn't work out because my demolished mac didn't respond, so i decided to immigrate via time machine.

that worked out, not that fast, but i had all my files until i deleted the other new user (i was forced to create to make my new mac running).

this process deleted all my files (music, data, pics), but not my applications.

after i was trying to immigrate from mac to mac the demolished mac didn't make any move anymore. but i was happy to have a full back up on time machine.

after trying several times to immigrate all data from time machine (unfortunately it didn't work out), i thought that i can inherit time machine to the new mac.

it was procession for an hour and should me 450gb of transfer. so i thought that it's working out.

the problem now is, that i can't enter the full back up and also can't enter my demolished old mac.

my friend told me about showing my old mac as a hard disc drive. i should press T while both macs are connected via firewire, then a firewire shows up at the monitor of the old one and i can enter my hard disk. well my problem is, that i demolished my old mac with a small cup of tea and the keyboard and touchpad didn't work anymore. i was working with an windows usb keyboard.

i'm going to try this out. but there might be another way to make the time machine working for my new mac with all my files. if they're missing that would be very sad for my professional life.

i would be happy if someone has any clues!

thank you all in advance! greets

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 4:24 PM

2 replies

Jul 10, 2014 8:48 AM in response to okka_gois

The one thing you'll have to be careful is that not all Mountain Lion applications are Mavericks compatible.

MacBook Pros purchased on or after October 22, 2013 as new from Apple or authorized reseller, or MacBook Airs purchased as new on or after April 29, 2014 can't run Mountain Lion, and are stuck with Mavericks or newer. Use: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6413 to determine your MacBook's age. There is no machine exclusively labelled MacBook (without the Air or Pro) that is actually "new." If you have an Air or Pro purchased before the aforementioned dates specific to the model, you may be able to request AppleCare make available to you Mountain Lion as a restore option, if you didn't clone back that up since before the Mavericks upgrade.

http://www.roaringapps.com/ tells you what's compatible with what operating system.

The Migration Assistant from the old machine is otherwise a good idea.

Jul 11, 2014 5:51 AM in response to a brody

i didn't upgrade to mavericks yet, at that moment i'm fine with mountain lion.

i'm only interested in recovering my files from my time machine. there might be an oppurtinity via terminal?

i already immigrated from time machine. it worked for about 10 min. then the files were gone. the strange part about is, that it looks like it took the space on my hard disc drive, but doesn't show the files...

my so called 'new' macbook pro was produced mid 2012.

thank you very much!!

Inheriting Time Machine to New Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.