Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Straight Talk iPhone 5 can't receive calls/texts

iPhone 5 can't call/text or receive calls/texts. Straight talk is my carrier. I have had the phone since Christmas. It has worked perfectly all of this time. On June 27, I came home and the problems started. Can't call/text receive calls/texts. Can't get on the internet unless I connect to my router. Called straight talk and they rudely told me to just go outside when I wanted to make a call or text. Problems began to escalate. Phone wouldn't work outside my house or on my porch. It only works when I go very far from my house and even then it is testy. Now it won't connect to my router unless I'm right next to it. Called apple today and the support person had me update Network Settings. It worked! So excited, was able to make calls and text. Told the lady thank you and was thrilled that all seemed to be fixed. Set my phone down and came back to it in about five minutes. Guess what. It was having the same old problems again. Don't know what else to do. If I don't get any answers here. I suppose I'll call apple again. Hoping someone here is having the same problems and knows what is going on. Also, does anyone know what tower iPhone 5 uses with Straight Talk? I've heard it's Verizon, but I've also heard it's AT&T. Any help would be soooo much appreciated!

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 5:39 PM

5 replies

Jul 9, 2014 5:51 PM in response to doglover0242

Straight Talk uses At&t, T-mobile, and probably Sprint/Verizon too.

Their activation page has GSM and CDMA instructions.

Settings > About > scroll down and look for IMEI or MEID.

I have ST on At&t. Yes their customer service *****. You have to be persistent to get an answer.

Email them, Call them again.

Is your APN set correctly? Only needed for T-mobile configuration.

Do you have good signal strength?

What data service are you using? (E,3G,4G, LTE)

Jul 9, 2014 6:05 PM in response to chattphotos

Ok so I know how to operate my phone but I'm not super tech savvy. So I might now know what you're talking about haha. I looked and saw both IMEI and MEID. Really long numbers next to them. I've called three times. I'm about ready to give up lol They must be in some other country because I cant even understand them. They have to repeat everything. I've went to walmart where I got the phone and they were not help either. I'll try emailing them next. I'm not sure about the APN. I don't know how to change it. When I'm in my house or near it, I only have I bar or it says no service. I have 3G. Sometimes the 3G disappears and it says 1x instead. That started with all of the other problems.

Jul 9, 2014 7:39 PM in response to doglover0242

You have a CDMA connection, 1X is unique to Verizon/Sprint.

Since your phone has an IMEI, it's compatible with At&t/T-mobile also.

Unless the carrier is upgrading the tower, there shouldn't be any significant issues with reception.

Email ST support, ask to see if you can change your service over to GSM/At&t.

Check At&t coverage here:

http://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html

Straight Talk iPhone 5 can't receive calls/texts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.