Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes library has more music than my iPod can hold...

My iTunes library has about twice as much music as my iPod can hold. I recently created a new Playlist, and would like to sync my iPod to reflect this change, but I don't want to alter my existing iPod music selections. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 5:43 PM

2 replies

Jul 10, 2014 2:10 AM in response to 67tony

67tony wrote:

I recently created a new Playlist, and would like to sync my iPod to reflect this change, but I don't want to alter my existing iPod music selections.

Then incorporate the existing selection into the new Playlist.

However, if this means that your Playlist is now larger than the capacity of your iPod, then you can't make such a change without affecting the existing music content on your iPod.

If this does not help, then please explain in more detail, what you are trying to do. There is a method of automatically swapping music on the iPod for other music in your Library. For example, iTunes could remove songs that you have played recently and replace them with songs you have not played in a while. If that sounds like something you would like to try, let us know and we can help devise some Smart Playlists that will achieve this.

Jul 10, 2014 2:53 AM in response to 67tony

If your iTunes library contains music in a higher quality format e.g. Apple Lossless, WAV, or AIFF, then it is possible to set iTunes to automatically convert these in to lower quality AAC format when syncing them to your iPod. To use this feature connect your iPod to your computer, select it in iTunes and scroll down and find the option to convert to AAC. You can also specify the AAC quality level e.g. 128Kbps to 256Kbps.

This will not result in two copies of each track, your computer will keep the high quality version, the iPod will only have the lower quality version. The first time you do this will take a while as each track has to be converted, but thereafter only changes need to be converted and this smaller amount will take less time.

iTunes library has more music than my iPod can hold...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.