Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microphone problem

So every time I make or receive a call on my iPhone 4s, I either have to have the phone on speaker phone or have my headset plugged in. The phone is only three months old.... Any idea what I can do?!?

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 5:10 PM

1 reply

Jul 12, 2014 9:33 AM in response to nikkidenise

Hello nikkidenise,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

From your post I understand you're experiencing difficulties when receiving a call. This item on the iPhone affected is called the receiver, not the microphone. To resolve the issue, please follow the steps in the article below:

1. Increase the volume during the call.
  2. Make sure nothing is blocking the receiver. If you're using a protective case or display film, remove it and try again.
  3. Make sure nothing is plugged into the headphone jack or the dock connector.
  4. Check the receiver opening to see if it is clogged with debris. If necessary, clean it with a clean, small, dry, soft-bristled brush.
  5. Try another location with better signal. If the audio issue happens only when on a call, it could be due to the location.
  6. If the iPhone is paired with a Bluetooth headset or a car kit, try turning off Bluetooth on your device. Learn more about troubleshooting Bluetooth connections.
  7. Restart the iPhone.
  8. Make sure your device is up to date.
  9. If the issue is not resolved, contact Apple Support.

iPhone: Receiver and call audio quality issues

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts5196

Take care,

Alex H.

Microphone problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.