Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I just need to replace my battery?

So the other week I stupidly left my 2011 macbook pro sitting by an open window and it started to rain heavily. I got to it quickly and there wasn't too much water on it but there was some on the keyboard so I did everything you would generally do. I turned it off, flipped it over, towelled it off, used a blow dryer and then let it sit in rice for 24 hours. The next day after making sure there was no water leaking out of anywhere and that it was completely dry, I turned it on to test it. Everything is fine and seems to be working including the screen, the backlight on the keyboard and all the connectors. The only problem is the battery. The macbook is in perfect working order when plugged into the charger but turns off once unplugged. Light on charger is always green when plugged in (never ember) This is my battery information:

Model Information:

Serial Number: 9G20211LMD3MA

Manufacturer: DP

Device Name: bq20z451

Pack Lot Code: 0

PCB Lot Code: 0

Firmware Version: 201

Hardware Revision: 2

Cell Revision: 158

Charge Information:

Charge Remaining (mAh): 4790

Fully Charged: No

Charging: No

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 5340

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 579

Condition: Replace Now

Battery Installed: Yes

Amperage (mA): 0

Voltage (mV): 12238

I was so excited when I thought it was just a battery that needed replacing so I was all ready to get in contact with my local authorized apple repair and order a new battery but then I was reading around online and I saw something about how it could actually be the logic board that is fried? Which I am praying it isn't. But I also want to be sure that I'm not just wasting my money buying a new battery. Would there be other accompanying indicators with a fried logic board to look out for? Because my macbook is working perfectly other than the battery issue. Am I safe to assume it's the battery and just replace it (I've also had this macbook for over 3 years and use it constantly so maybe it was the battery's time to be replaced) ? Should I remove the back cover and check how everything looks (I wanted to avoid this because I'm not very macbook-savvy and didn't want to accidentally damage something) ? Any advice would be appreciated!

Model Information:

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 5:05 PM

8 replies

Jul 9, 2014 5:33 PM in response to Csound1

hi csound and everyone else. my apologies to you and all for posting here in regards but i could not reply to your contribution to my thread in a different message as it was quickly deleted by apple. disgusting! my post which was removed was in relation to mavericks file copy problems etc, I had no idea apple was now filtering postings that are truthful but may tarnish their image as my solution was to sell my mac.

Jul 9, 2014 5:48 PM in response to UrbanDyce

Obviously, you never read the Terms of Use when you became an ASC member. These forums are not to be used to post complaints or rants about any products. Stick to technical problems that can be demonstrated for which you are looking for help. There are other websites you can use for complaints and rants.

Jul 10, 2014 4:11 AM in response to annaxoxo

annaxoxo wrote:

The macbook is in perfect working order when plugged into the charger

Model Information:

That is a good sign.

but turns off once unplugged.

Model Information:

That is a bad sign.

When you unplug the charger, does the date and time change in the menu bar to a default value?

That to me suggests that the battery is the problem. However you could run an Apple Hardware Test to see if other issues are picked up:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

Unfortunately a test with an error free result is not always 100% reliable.

Ciao.

Jul 10, 2014 10:19 AM in response to annaxoxo

When you unplug the charger, does the date and time change in the menu bar to a default value?

I don't get the chance to see because it just goes black and turns off. Then when i plug the charger back in, it starts itself up.

Thanks everyone for any help! I probably will take it into the shop to get checked out, any clue how much is the typical charge for them to check out what is wrong with my macbook? My warranty and applecare is expired at this point. Also as an addition I did run the Apple Hardware Test and it came up with this code:

4SNS/1/40000001:VPOR-0.000

I looked it up and it said it's a voltage sensor problem? Is that right?

Jul 10, 2014 10:24 AM in response to annaxoxo

annaxoxo wrote:

Then when i plug the charger back in, it starts itself up.

I understand that it shut off but what is the date when you restart it?

4SNS/1/40000001:VPOR-0.000

I looked it up and it said it's a voltage sensor problem? Is that right?

Yes, a problem in the power bus.

Ciao.

Do I just need to replace my battery?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.