Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud password won't stop loading.

I had to reset my password to all my accounts, so I thought I would do the same to iCloud. When I went into the AppStore I noticed that my AppleID was from a long defunct email address, so I changed it to a current one. Easy enough. I also changed my AppleID password. Then I went onto my iPad and an iCloud sign in window appeared asking me to enter the AppleID password for my old email. I entered my new password, figuring since I got the verification email, it was all set. Nope. It won't accept the new password because iCloud still recognizes my old email. I've gone into iCloud.com to manage my ID and it shows the new and current email. I can't seem to get my devices to recognize my new iCloud ID, and the sign in box will not leave. It is blocking the operation of the iPad. I've heard that you can delete your iCloud account and start over. Is this recommended?

Ideas?

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 6:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 6:40 PM

To change the iCloud ID you have to go to Settings>iCloud, tap Delete Account, provide the password for the old ID when prompted to turn off Find My iDevice, then sign back in with the ID you wish to use. When you do this you may find that the password for your old ID isn't accepted. If this should happen, and if your old ID is an earlier version of your current ID, you need to temporarily recreate your old ID by going to https://appleid.apple.com, click Manage my Apple ID and sign in with your current iCloud ID. Click edit next to the primary email account, change it back to your old email address and save the change. Then edit the name of the account to change it back to your old email address. You can now use your current password to turn off Find My iDevice on your device, even though it prompts you for the password for your old account ID. Then save any photo stream photos that you wish to keep to your camera roll. When finished go to Settings>iCloud, tap Delete Account and choose Delete from My iDevice when prompted (your iCloud data will still be in iCloud). Next, go back to https://appleid.apple.com and change your primary email address and iCloud ID name back to the way it was. Now you can go to Settings>iCloud and sign in with your current iCloud ID and password.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2014 6:40 PM in response to NateMA

To change the iCloud ID you have to go to Settings>iCloud, tap Delete Account, provide the password for the old ID when prompted to turn off Find My iDevice, then sign back in with the ID you wish to use. When you do this you may find that the password for your old ID isn't accepted. If this should happen, and if your old ID is an earlier version of your current ID, you need to temporarily recreate your old ID by going to https://appleid.apple.com, click Manage my Apple ID and sign in with your current iCloud ID. Click edit next to the primary email account, change it back to your old email address and save the change. Then edit the name of the account to change it back to your old email address. You can now use your current password to turn off Find My iDevice on your device, even though it prompts you for the password for your old account ID. Then save any photo stream photos that you wish to keep to your camera roll. When finished go to Settings>iCloud, tap Delete Account and choose Delete from My iDevice when prompted (your iCloud data will still be in iCloud). Next, go back to https://appleid.apple.com and change your primary email address and iCloud ID name back to the way it was. Now you can go to Settings>iCloud and sign in with your current iCloud ID and password.

Jul 20, 2014 10:21 AM in response to randers4

Everything worked fine, but when I got my MBP back from a keyboard fix, I keep getting an iCloud error message referring back to my old AppleID, even though it is changed on all my other devices and the new ID is used to log into this support community. Do I have to reset all of them again at once? For some reason the MBP won't recognize the new ID. Thanks.

Aug 5, 2014 9:51 AM in response to NateMA

I had an email that was the primary email for my iCloud account, the email service discontinued in January so prior to that I created an email account using GMAIL and changed my apple id over to it. All was going well till 2 days ago when my IPAD started asking for the password for my iCloud account ... and it was showing the old email ID .... It would not take the pwd for the current icloud id and it would not take the pwd for the old one.

So I found this article and decided to try it, however i didnt get too far. I logged into https://appleid.apple.com/account/home with my current apple ID and went to manage my ID and changed the primary email to the old email.... it then wants to verify the old email id and sends a verification email to the non-existant email account. I still saved and then went to the IPAD and tried stopping 'Find my IPAD' and was prompted for the pwd ... and shows the old id ... so I enter the current pwd as mentioned and it wont take it. So I am stuck

I cannot verify the change of account name and primary email address back to old email since the email id no longer exists, and i am stuck with messages on the ipad wanting me to login to old named icloud id ... and cannot delete it.

Any ideas?

Aug 5, 2014 10:00 AM in response to Bob6801

Please note, I have other apple devices (IPhone......) that do not have this problem and are using the current icloud ID based on my gmail.

All devices, including the ipad that seems to be stuck with the old icloud account name update with itunes and I can even purchase apps etc on this IPAD. So it is only the iCloud id that is the problem

Aug 5, 2014 11:43 AM in response to Bob6801

If you are being prompted to verify the old email address when you try to add it back to your current ID, that's an indication that your current ID was never previously associated with the old email address. If your current ID is an entirely new ID rather than a revised version of the old ID this process won't work. If that's the case, you'll have to contact the Apple account security team for your country and ask for assistance resetting the password for the old ID so you can provide it when prompted: Apple ID: Contacting Apple for help with Apple ID account security.

iCloud password won't stop loading.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.