Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scosche Lightning Cables Not Working with iPhone 5

Anyone else having this difficulty after installing IOS 7.1.2? I've spent more than $60 on Lightning cables with Staples and this is way too much.

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 6:53 PM

9 replies

Jul 9, 2014 7:02 PM in response to Traveler22

Apple put sensors in the iOS 7 update at one point that can detect a cable that does not meet the Apple specs. That cable then results in the message that you are trying to use an unsupported device, or some such alert. Some users have had success with certain makers of third-party cables, at least the kind from Belkin and high-end suppliers. Some have gotten the message with an official Apple cable. Systems are pretty sensitive to the cable they see now.

Jul 16, 2014 7:54 AM in response to Ralph Landry1

I’m aware of the chips in the “official” cables, and anyone can do a web search to get more details. Wireless handset manufacturers have been pulling this routine of pumping customer for extra income from “new” accessories for their new phones after trimming the cost of the handsets. For example, this is what makes most of Verizon’s phony “new every two” upgrade offers ludicrous.

But getting back to the subject, I got a positive response from cable manufacturer, they’ll replace the bad cable. The second cable worked ok after rebooting both my computer and device. Apparently this particular one is more sensitive to whatever limitations Apple introduced by adding the unnecessary chip.

Bottom line, third-party cable or not, a licensed product with a warranty MUST operate exactly the same as the same component with Apple’s name on it.

Jul 16, 2014 8:43 AM in response to Traveler22

Traveler22 wrote:

Wrong answer. If the product is certified to be Apple compatible, and licensed by Apple to carry the name and trademark, it’s electrically and functionally equivalent.

Good luck with that.

Never need to buy any third parties cables since the cable that came with the iPhone is working perfectly.

Aug 17, 2014 9:48 PM in response to Csound1

USB devices may use the same power spec through the USB connection, but iPhones suck the battery dry faster than most other PDA's. My Blackberry devices could run for as long as two days on a full charge while picking up email for 8 accounts. I receive less email volume now and the iPhone battery could be dead before the end of my work day, after starting with a full charge. Every time I travel by air for business, I see poor Apple people tethered to electric outlets all over the airports. Poor power management in these Apple devices requires carrying extra charging cables to keep them running.

Scosche Lightning Cables Not Working with iPhone 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.