Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't install any Mac OS X Version on iMac !

I was a PC user for about 10 years and few days ago I bought my first iMac(Mid 2011 iMac 27"),Of course an used one from a friend. Anyhow I received it with a wrong Mac OS X installation DVD (version 10.6.4) which cannot be installed on my iMac because it has been shipped with 10.6.6 (according to apple)

I received the iMac with no operating system installed, But still it boots to the recovery mode(with OS X Utilities open). So I tried the following methods to install Mac OS X.

1. Tried to Re-install Mac OS X from OS X Utilities, and ended up with "This Apple ID has not purchased Mac OS X ....." message
  2. Tried Internet Recovery and it ended up in the same recovery mode after loading a progress bar for about 20 minutes.
  3. Finally downloaded InstallESD.dmg (Mac Lion OS X 10.7) file from internet and made a bootable SD-Card using Disk Utilities (given in OS X Utilities).Then Restarted the iMac with option button pressed. Then It showed the SD Card as a boot source. But After selecting it, iMac showed a grey screen with Apple logo(as usual) and also a spinning wheel for about 20seconds.After that the spinning wheel disappeared and booted up to the same recovery mode with OS X Utilities open.

I followed these 3 steps multiple times and always ended up with the same result (recovery mode with OS X Utilities open)
Also Im pretty sure that, this iMac has no issues because I used it with Mac OS X Installed, few days before buying.

How can I solve this ? I just want to install any Mac OS X version on my iMac.

(seriously, why is this so hard install an operating system on a computer :/)

P.S : excuse for my English

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 8:22 PM

8 replies

Jul 9, 2014 10:05 PM in response to Prabhashw

What happens when you're in the recovery mode? What happens if you choose to reinstall OS X? If that does not work.......

the problem are the new licensing requirements. Your friend did not do what he should have done and that is to sell the Mac with the original OS installed. He should have wiped the hard drive using Internet Recovery and then installed the correct (original) OS version. Any OS or app obtained at the app store is not transferable and is tied to the Apple ID used when obtained forever. When you spoke with Apple, did you ask them for replacement install disks? They will send the disks - give them your serial number so they can send the machine specific disks.

Last question: where did you download Lion from?

Jul 9, 2014 10:38 PM in response to babowa

When I choose Re-install OS X and continue through steps it asks for an Apple ID. When I enter mine, it says I haven't purchased OS X (I have never used my Apple ID with Mac App store) and it goes back to OS X Utilities.

Yeah.I know he did something wrong. He could have give me the original installation DVD at first place. I'm just trying to solve this without bothering him.

I just googled and downloaded it.(Sorry if its piracy, but I really wanted to fix this cause I already paid for an iMac). Also there is no Apple support in my country :/

Anyway If I buy Mac OS X Lion from Apple Store (http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion) via internet, Will I be able use Re-install Mac OS X option using my Apple ID ?

Thanks for the reply

Jul 9, 2014 10:44 PM in response to Prabhashw

Did you try Internet Recovery (that is holding Command + Option + R) - it will take up to 10 minutes to connect to Apple's servers. If you have not tried that, do so. It may work. Once you get to the Utilities screen, choose to wipe the drive. After that, reinstall OS X. If that does not work -

Unfortunately, buying Lion is not the answer. You'll need to start over with Snow Leopard, so calling Apple would be the next step. I'd be "bothering" the seller.

Jul 9, 2014 10:53 PM in response to Prabhashw

This is a known issue with models that shipped with OS X 10.6 and received a firmware update after 10.7 was released, enabling them to use Internet Recovery. You can't reinstall 10.6 even from the original discs, and Internet Recovery will not work either without the original owner's Apple ID. You must contact Apple Support, or take the machine to an Apple Store or another authorized service provider to have the OS installed.

Jul 10, 2014 3:52 AM in response to Prabhashw

Finally I found a Mac from my area and was able to login and download OS X Mavericks using my Apple ID. While it was downloading, I turned on my iMac and tried "Re-install OS X" option in recovery mode. duh...This time it shows another Error

This item is temporarily unavailable.Try again Later.

Installer Log says

localhost Unknown[287]: 2014-07-10 03:27:36.657 Install OS X Mountain Lion[319:6203] Couldn't find app store version, falling back to hardcoded

localhost Install OS X Mountain Lion[319]: Can not connect to /var/run/systemkeychaincheck.socket: No such file or directory

Anybody have an idea ?

Seriously, why is it so hard to install an Operating System on a computer ?? My first Mac experience seems to be the last one too.

Can't install any Mac OS X Version on iMac !

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.