Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where do Apple's Refurbished machines come from?

If Apple does not do trade-ins, then where do their refurbished machines come from?

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 8:27 PM

11 replies

Jul 9, 2014 8:51 PM in response to chrisfromhongkong

Warranty returns, open boxes, discontinued models.

I have bought a few refurbs, MacBook Pro's, routers. Never had any issue. You get the same 1 year warranty, and an option to by the extended warranty (Apple Care) within the the first year before the 1-yr warranty expires.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), i7 500GB 16GB RAM iPhone5 iOS7.1.2

Jul 10, 2014 4:30 AM in response to chrisfromhongkong

chrisfromhongkong wrote:

where do their refurbished machines come from?

My GUESS is that they are returns, repaired Macs, display models and overstocked models when a replacement line is introduced. I purchased my 2011 MBP about 8-9 months after the 2012 models were introduced. Though I do not have proof, I suspect it may have been actually a 'new' one (never used). Of the other two MBPs that I bought as refurbished units, I was never able to detect any cosmetic flaws.

Ciao.

Jul 10, 2014 8:05 AM in response to chrisfromhongkong

Ogelthorpe is spot on. I wanted a 13" rMBP with 16GB/1TB and got one in March, which was a hard one to get.

On a different note, I wish the iPhone Store App would allow refurbished gear to show up. 😟 It only shows up in the Web interface.

I have yet to get one refurbished unit with any blemishes. In some cases, the outer body gets replaced and re-etched with proper serial numbers etc.

Where do Apple's Refurbished machines come from?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.