Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

after the update to 10.9.4 it is optimizing your mac how long should this take?

in the upper right corner it says optimizing your mac how long should this take and where can I find how to control this

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 8:18 PM

7 replies

Jul 13, 2014 11:28 AM in response to Barney-15E

I have gotten that notice twice after updating, and I hoped and prayed that Mac, who has been so user friendly so far, would have not offered a "close" button unless it was safe to close that message. But then there's another thread in apple discussions (I don't know how to link to it here) (Re: after the update to 10.9.4 it is optimizing your mac how long should this take?), that warns you should wait until that little window goes away or you have to re-install Maverick. It took me 12 hours to download Maverick. I really would rather not go through that again. Have I damaged my Mac by clicking "close" on that notice? Thanks!

Jul 13, 2014 1:39 PM in response to Eric Root

Old Toad: I'm sorry, I just don't know what you are asking, or how to respond to your post.

Eric Root: The genius bar wiped out my hard drive recently, and had me restart from my backup drive. I'm not sure if I am explaining that correctly, but is that what you mean by a backup? If so, then yes, I have a backup, but since I recently wiped out my hard drive and restored it from backup, would I need to do that again just to get rid of a hopefully harmless notification whose only option is "close"? I clicked on "close" and as far as I can tell nothing bad has happened. And I am getting that same notification after an update even after I have wiped out/restored my hard disk.

Has anyone else run into any problems when they click "close" on that notification? If I have done anything harmful to my computer by clicking on "close" I haven't noticed the harm. I would like to know if anyone has actually harmed their computer by clicking "close" on that message. Thanks!

after the update to 10.9.4 it is optimizing your mac how long should this take?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.