Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari & App Store Won't Connect....Firefox will

Don't have a clue what the issue is...have spent 4 hours going searching for fixes and have come up with NOTHING.😠

I don't even know how this happened.

Used Safari....left the house for a short walk...started Safari...now it doesn't work.

Takes forever to load and then seems to get hung up when I try and go to any site. Not a connectivity issue, because I can switch to Firefox and browse the internet just fine...as I am doing right now.

I also cannot connect to the App Store.

Just to be clear....I don't get an error or "Cannot Connect Message". I just get incredibly SLOW loading and then a freeze...or the program becomes unresponsive. Or in the case of the App Store - the window opens, but it never connects.

With Safari, I cannot even connect to Google. It starts to load...and then gets hung up....and then nothing.

Well...I guess if I let it sit and work for a few minutes, it connects eventually - it just takes FOREVER.

Any help would be appreciated as this is quite a pain. I've gone through more than a dozen threads looking for answers thru Google...and nothing has worked. Kind of hoping I don't need to do a full OS re-install.😢

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 10:42 PM

26 replies

Jul 10, 2014 8:03 AM in response to loued17

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. You must hold down the shift key twice: once when you turn on the computer, and again when you log in.

Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a Fusion Drive or a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Jul 10, 2014 5:04 PM in response to loued17

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It won’t solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of this test is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account. Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your documents or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this behavior; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault in OS X 10.7 or later, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The "Guest User" login created by "Find My Mac" is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Jul 10, 2014 7:06 PM in response to loued17

Problems such as yours are sometimes caused by files that should belong to you but are locked or have wrong permissions. This procedure will check for such files. It makes no changes and therefore is not, in itself, a solution.

First, empty the Trash, if possible.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it, then copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

find ~ $TMPDIR.. \( -flags +sappnd,schg,uappnd,uchg -o ! -user $UID -o ! -perm -600 \) 2>&- | wc -l | pbcopy

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing command-V. The command may take a noticeable amount of time to run. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear.

The output of the command will be a number. It's automatically copied to the Clipboard. Please paste it into a reply.

The Terminal window doesn't show the output. Please don't copy anything from there.

Safari & App Store Won't Connect....Firefox will

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.