Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro turned itself on (from shutdown) while lid was closed?

2009 Macbook Pro 10.6.8

2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

8GB RAM

Main Issue:

So I had just shutdown my macbook for the night and closed the lid with no problems as is usual. However, about 5 minutes later, seemingly out of nowhere, I hear the tell-tale start-up noise and look over to see a glow from beneath the lid and the apple symbol light up. I open the lid and behold it has started up out of nowhere! This has never happened before.
However, I will note other strange happenings with this Macbook that may be related that also just started this week.

Secondary Issue:
About 5 days ago I had just finished playing an online game with no problems, quit the game, and shutdown the Windows 7 OS I used to run the game (via Parallels). I got about my usual business online with no other OS in the background anymore when suddenly the fan kicks in. And out. And in and out. As if it can't decide what to do. Then the screen goes black. I thought it shutdown! But no, it went to sleep by itself. It did this a few times after I woke it back up each time. Then it didn't happen anymore. No problems. Backed up on my external just in case but no issues in days.
Tonight, just before the Main Issue occurred, the fan did its on and off again, but no setting itself to sleep.

Now, ironically, as I sit here typing this, the fan has gone on and off again.
On both occasions, I have nothing else running except the internet browser, and the first time it happened I quit all programs as well.
Additionally, in this moment, the keypad light and the screen brightness are going in and out to different brightness settings while the fan goes in and out (not always at the same time though), but there is no indication on my screen that I am pressing one of the buttons to change these settings, as if the auto brightness and keypad light setting is having its own problems like the fan.

Only other notice is some lag while the fan runs its confused course, but no other problems with regards to how well the laptop is actually running while these events occur, minus the annoyance of changing brightness and a confused fan. The light in the room I am working in does not change, and the laptop is not actually running hot, so there isn't even a need for the fan to be on in general.

Lastly, I will note that the battery is not in its best state and has not been for a while, but I pretty much always keep it plugged in. I don't really use the laptop anywhere that there isn't a place to plug in.. However, this has been a thing for months, if not longer.

I fear this laptop is nearing its end.

*EDIT*

I lied, as I was about to finish this to submit the laptop put itself to sleep and the fan went off. I gave it a few seconds before I woke it back up and the fan has continued it's confusion. For now, I will shutdown and await replies tomorrow.

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 10:18 PM

4 replies

Jul 10, 2014 7:53 AM in response to Samishii

Overnight updates.
At about 7am my macbook magically turned itself on again. I waited for it to finish and had it shutdown instead of logging in.
At about 9 or 9:30am, it happened again. This time when I opened the lid I heard the fan start running. Again, I merely shut down the laptop.
Additionally, I opted to unplug the charger just in case.
It has not happened again and as I am using the laptop now, there is no fan issue or any other problem I mentioned in the first post.
However, as previously mentioned, the last time it happened, it took almost a week for it to happen again.

Jul 10, 2014 9:27 PM in response to Samishii

Further update:
I have used the laptop for the majority of the day with no problems since the earlier morning mentioned activities.

I also ran TechTools and it found error with my Video RAM but did not specify what was wrong. I have otherwise not had any problems with videos or games or any kind of display, though I've had better luck with watching YouTube videos on Safari than Firefox for some reason these past few days. I get errors on Firefox with YouTube on occasion, but no such error when I try again in Safari.

I'm going to leave the laptop plugged in overnight again and see if it turns itself on again or not while it is shut down like it did in the morning and the night before.

Macbook Pro turned itself on (from shutdown) while lid was closed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.