Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Kill this 'System PopUp' (photo attached)

It now appears regularly when I'm trying to type in Safari URL address bar, thus making it impossible to continue typing, and no keystrokes can make it go away.

But will even appear e.g. when I'm trying to type this post here.

I'm not touching the keyboard (except to type), not clicking the mouse (except to left click in the URL bar or in this post), not touching the Trackpad.

Sometimes a whole blank line gets highlighted even though nothing there, and the pop up appears and I can't type.

Sometimes a word, or the address I'm trying to type in the URL address bar gets highlighted and it happens.

Humm...yes, it appears linked to unwanted Highlighting but I don't know for sure.

AMAZINGLY ANNOYING.

User uploaded file

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 11:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 12:29 AM

One or two things you could try that may help.

1. Safari menu, Reset Safari.

2. In case you keyboard shortcuts have been changed, go to System Preferences-Keyboard-Shortcuts-Input sources and restore defaults.

For some reason it looks like you have Control-click on all the time so that brings up the pulldown menu.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2014 12:29 AM in response to 60wpm

One or two things you could try that may help.

1. Safari menu, Reset Safari.

2. In case you keyboard shortcuts have been changed, go to System Preferences-Keyboard-Shortcuts-Input sources and restore defaults.

For some reason it looks like you have Control-click on all the time so that brings up the pulldown menu.

Jul 10, 2014 8:40 AM in response to Cunnla

Thanks, (above post). That was a good idea.

It's still happening, though.

IT'S LIKE THE CURSOR HAS A MIND OF IT'S OWN.

If it happens to be over a word..that word will 'suddenly' get highlighted and then the annoying control-click pop up appears.

Or if it's in the Safari URL address bar, suddenly what's in there will get highlighted and then the annoying control-click pop up appears.

Or if I click in a post, like this once, to edit or add a line, suddenly even a whole line of blank line will indicate it's highlighted & annoying control-click pop up appears.

Unfortunately I know I have lots of little apps that can create pop-ups so now I'm going through them one by one.

Reset Safari. Tried Safari with all Extensions turned off. Turning off each of these mini-apps that are associated with pop-ups:

1. PopClip

2.MenuPop

3.Grammarian

etc. but nothing yet stops this.

I shouldn't have let such 'weeds' grow out of control.

Happened about 5x's in this one post. I'll keep thinking of what else I might do to 'weed my garden,' but if someone else has a bright-spark idea, please to pass it on. Thanks.

Jul 10, 2014 5:55 PM in response to 60wpm

It looks like you have narrowed down the problem with those apps, especially PopClip and MenuPop. If you have tried deleting them and the problem persists there may be residues somewhere in your system. You could try EasyFind (Mac App Store) and track down all the .plists etc and delete them. Otherwise a restore from Time Machine from the time before the problem started may be needed.

Anyway, see what Etrecheck comes up with, as Eric suggested.

Jul 11, 2014 6:05 AM in response to 60wpm

It does not stop it happening but that menu is the menu that appears when you select a URL i.e. weblink and right-click (aka. Control-Click). Are you accidentally right-clicking? Have you set the left mouse-button to do a Control-Click? Or the same with regards to a trackpad?

Do you have a cluttered desk and something resting on top of your mouse or trackpad?

Jul 12, 2014 2:26 PM in response to John Lockwood

I was hoping to not have to admit this and let this Discussion quietly fade away,

but since John so precisely identified the cause of the problem ---AND --- and since this is a reality of computer use, I will admit:

YES, THE PROBLEM WAS A CLUTTERED DESKTOP.

My wrist support mat had shifted over to be touching the right-click button of the nearby trackball. (photo, below)

Pressing on the mat pad was triggering a Trackball right-click.

So...sometimes cables stop working, sometimes Settings get changed, or other 'pedestrian' problems occur.

Thanks you all for your input and consideration of this Very Annoying trait....um, and it was good to 'weed my garden' of those apps I suspected and have them do more what I want and eliminate features that were slightly distressing (Like Grammarian popping up and stopping typing entry because I'm entering a crazy computer combinations of letters, etc.)

User uploaded file

How Kill this 'System PopUp' (photo attached)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.