Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

July 2014 Blu-Ray Authoring Software comparable to DVD Studio Pro

Well, there have been a number of threads related to this question. The biggest problem with ALL of those threads is they get high jacked with people OPINIONS about the need to author Blu-Ray. SO let me start by saying if you intend to replay with "just use a dvd" or "no one uses blu-ray make downloadable content" or whatever your personal opinion is as to why I shouldn't need to author custom Blu-Rays like I could with DVD Studio Pro (DVDSP), Don't bother posting in this thread. I have a legitimate need with a focused purpose and currently have not found a tool that allows me to do what I need for my business. Although I am getting by with available tools, I am not happy with the product I am giving to customers.

What I would like to find is a blu-ray authoring tool that allows from more than a basic menu and play function. In particular I need my blu-ray to play a short video before showing the menu. In DVDSP, this can be done very easily, but obviously its not HD.

If you know of a current tool, ideally MAC compatible but I am open to a good PC tool. That allows for blue-ray authoring beyond very basic menus like please share it.

Current Software I have tried that don't fit the bill:

Roxio Toast 11 : only allows for very basic menus

FCPX: Again only basic menu.

Compressor: Even Less...

I don't mind spending a a bit on a known good tool, but I don't really want to spend 3000$ to do this simple task either.

Thanks so much for anyone that shares useful information!

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 2:41 AM

26 replies

Jul 23, 2014 4:32 PM in response to Russ H

Hey guys

I'm also in need of a good bluray authoring solution beyond what's currently available. And now that Encore is gone, do you guys have any other solutions? I found this on the Sony site, but it's PC only and $3k: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/dostudioindie

Are there any sweet nerds still in Apple that want to add Bluray capability to DVD Studio Pro?

Jul 23, 2014 6:11 PM in response to JFLU

I believe Encore is the best option after all my research. It is available once you subscribe to the new Adobe Creative Cloud.

I will say one thing that has worked for me as a blu-ray alternative, is to export the videos into a AppleTV/ iPhone / iPad compatible format (MPEG-4 .m4v) from FinalCut or QuickTime. The format is also windows compatible so it works regardless of the customers computer preference. A number of dvd / blu-ray players also support the m4v format.

I do wish that there was a good Blu-Ray authoring tool for MAC outside of Encore but at least Encore exist for the time being. I do find it interesting that Adobe also chose not to offer an authoring tool in their latest creative suite. If you can afford the 3k the Sony tool is pretty amazing FYI, even though its only PC.

Jul 23, 2014 6:14 PM in response to Russ H

Hey Russ

I am subscribed to CC and since they updated to CC 2014, Encore is no longer available for download... Unless they've included it within Premiere, but that doesn't seem to be the case...

What's wrong with the state of video production software lately? Though on a positive, it looks like Da Vinci Resolve has added non-linear editing to their colour grade. Goodbye Final Cut and Premiere (I hope)!

Of course, that still doesn't solve my Bluray authoring needs...

Jul 23, 2014 6:45 PM in response to JFLU

It is available for download if you buy the full access creative cloud subscription, you have to go to CS6 downloads to get it but it is available. It is not available with a trial of creative cloud.

On a side note I discovered DVD Architect Pro 6.0 for PC its made by Sony and seems very capable with a 199$ price tag they have a home version / version 5.0 for 40$ which looks relatively capable as well. Both can author blue-ray or dvd's.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/dvdastudio

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/dvdarchitectpro

Jul 23, 2014 7:16 PM in response to PW1000

"

Encore is no longer in active development. Encore CS6 was the last version released.

The CS6 applications are still available are part of a Creative Cloud membership. Encore is installed by first installing Premiere Pro CS6, which includes Encore CS6.

This document describes the process of installing Encore CS6.

"

http://helpx.adobe.com/encore/kb/encore-cs6-installed-cc.html

hope that helps!

Oct 27, 2014 7:54 AM in response to JFLU

Hi all,

I changed to Apple-world and Mac OS because I expected better and more performant apps for graphic and video cutting, a.s.o

Hardware is definitely best valued, software is high performed, but the choice of good and - sometimes - tricky apps is rare. just as for blu-ray authoring.

Therefore I work with the Windows app "Magix Video deluxe 2015", a fully video cutting app and I use only 5% - the authoring part - of that. Never mind, it's cheap and the best completion to FCPX.

Shame on apple development, that a german comp. must show them the ropes.

Oct 27, 2014 9:14 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom,

I’m with you, Disc’s will die - in one or two decades; but at the moment we didn’t arrived in a 100 percent streaming society; and streaming can never replace the functionality of a good done BD-Menue.

Maybe the SD-card will replace Discs, but they should be also authored.

At nearly everyone’s home or small office exist a DVD / BD player, even at my grandma’s. We can bring and transport our content without any problems to them.

The status - felt by myself - is more than 90% Disc-player based, the streaming is upcoming but no base-technology yet.

I appreciate Apple’s technology lead, but they shouldn’t forget the ground.

July 2014 Blu-Ray Authoring Software comparable to DVD Studio Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.