Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound quality on a few cds is bad in iTunes. They are fine on hi-fi but distant and crackling on iTunes. I reimport and it is the same. What could the problem be?

For around ten of my cds (out of 1500 or so) the sound quality when I import into iTunes is a problem. They sound crackling and distant and I can barely hear the music. Essentially unplayable. I have tried reimporting, and I used Apple Lossless, but nothing changes. Can there be a problem with the 'files' on the cd so that they play on my hi-fi but not on my iPod? I can't work out what the problem could be.

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 3:16 AM

2 replies

Jul 10, 2014 3:49 AM in response to mgaull001

mgaull001 wrote:

For around ten of my cds (out of 1500 or so) the sound quality when I import into iTunes is a problem. They sound crackling and distant and I can barely hear the music. Essentially unplayable. I have tried reimporting, and I used Apple Lossless, but nothing changes. Can there be a problem with the 'files' on the cd so that they play on my hi-fi but not on my iPod? I can't work out what the problem could be.

It happens, especially with CDs produced by Warner Brothers. Do the following:

If you are not already using error correction, enable it. It is an option in the Burn Disc dialog.

If that doesn't help, try ripping one of the problem CDs with another program on the same computer (e.g. Windows Media Player). If the resulting MP3s sound good, add them to your iTunes library.

Or, try ripping on another computer.

Jul 21, 2014 1:49 PM in response to ed2345

Hi, and thanks for your advice. I've now imported it as an mp3 using Windows Media Player, and still have the same problem - sounds like lots of static. It is, however, a Warner Brothers CD that I last had the problem with, so you're definitely on the right track, and at least I can now see the problem, even if I can't see the solution. I'll need to wait until I get a new PC... Thank you in any case.

Sound quality on a few cds is bad in iTunes. They are fine on hi-fi but distant and crackling on iTunes. I reimport and it is the same. What could the problem be?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.