Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dual boot OSX - 10.9 & 10.6

Hi everyone,

I'm fighting with this for days, and the 3 beeps are making me mad so I hope someone can help.. 😀

The story:

I have a refurbished early 2011 MBP, it came with Snow Leopard (10.6) installed. I upgraded to Mavericks 10.9 but now I need to work with apps that don't run in Mavericks but only in 10.6 (updating the apps is too expensive, and the virtual machine solution does not satisfy me).

I'm trying to make a dual boot system with both (10.6 and 10.9) OSX installed, but the three beeps are stopping me every time I try to work with 10.6.

I made a backup, formatted the drive (Mac Os extended Journaled), and made 2 partitions.

I have my original 10.6 installation disk, and my 10.9 mounted in my external usb drive.

I tried to install 10.6 first, but the three beeps sounded.

I tried to install 10.9 first, and 10.6 later, but the three beeps sounded again.

I tried to install 10.6 using another MB (with 10.6 on it) and my MBP booted in Target disk mode, the installation went good, but when I try to boot my MPB selecting the 10.6 partition the three beeps sounds again.

I also tried to install only 10.6 in a single partition using the last method.. still the three mind shaking beeeps.

At this moment I have 2 partitions, with the 2 OSX installed, but only 10.9 is able to boot.

I know my MPB can work with 10.6 (it came from the store with it), but I can't figure out how to make it run again. Can anyone help me?

Is it possible to make the dual boot 10.6 + 10.9 system?

If so, how?

thanks in advance,

Federico

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 4:04 AM

23 replies

Jul 10, 2014 5:29 AM in response to Hrabal

I am dual booting Snow and ML from separate partitions on the internal. Not sure why you aren't able to do that. Did you create a second partition from the original? I wonder if there was enough room--contiguous space--to do that? If not, that might explain the problem you're encountering. When I created the second partition for ML, I had plenty of unused space to do that. In any case, to boot to another volume you need to restart while pressing the Option key just at the startup chime.

See

http://pondini.org/OSX/DU3.html

Jul 10, 2014 6:01 AM in response to Hrabal

Hrabal wrote:

I formatted the drive, so it's completely clean and partitions are 255Gigs each...

How did you achieved your setup?

That should be working then. I simply added a second partition by clicking the + button, according to Pondini's instructions in that link I gave you.

Are you restarting into the startup manager (boot picker)? Unless it's USB 3.0, a USB external will be extremely slow.

What is Disk Utility showing when you select the partition tab? Do you see both volumes?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jul 10, 2014 6:18 AM in response to WZZZ

To add, I already had ML on an external partition. I simply reverse cloned that ML to the now empty new partition on the internal. Btw, you should always maintain backups with as much redundancy as possible. I have three backups of my ML and two of Snow, all clones, on three external drives. It doesn't sound like you have any.

EDITED: Just re-read your first post more carefully. Do you remember if you ever installed any firmware updates? If so, that may be preventing the 10.6 from booting.

Looks like it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1237

Jul 10, 2014 6:24 AM in response to WZZZ

If you have a clone of the 10.6, that might work, if you move it to the !0.6 partition, which you should first erase. Other than that, you could bring it in to an Apple Store and see if they'll put the 10.6 back on for you. I think they are supposed to have a way of overcoming the firmware update issue.

And if the firmware update you applied isn't the problem, then I'm really at a loss to explain why this isn't working.

Jul 10, 2014 8:31 AM in response to Hrabal

I think that all of the retail SL DVDs install 10.6.3. You would then have to run Software Update to get to 10.6.8.

And despite what you've been told, it shouldn't make any difference in what version of SL it is. It could even be Leopard, if the machine was old enough, for that matter.

Important note: According to MacTracker, early 2011 MBPs shipped with either 10.6.6, or 10.6.7, so you would need to use the grey #1 DVD that shipped with your Mac.

User uploaded file

Dual boot OSX - 10.9 & 10.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.