Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error with iTunes 11- Can't delete lyrics

Hello,

I found a couple of posts on the same topic I'm about to ask but didn't find an answer anywhere. So I'm putting forth the issue again.

Error 1: For some songs, there are some lyrics which I want to delete. I do that through the info pane (cmd + i) and press ok. But when I check again, the lyrics re-appear.

Error 2: So I figured out the only way to get rid of the lyrics was to insert a space or dot in its place, as leaving it blank made the old lyrics reappear. It worked. But later when I sync this song to iPhone 5, the lyric remains what they were originally, no matter what I change on my mac. The same song shows separate lyrics on my mac (the one I recently changed) and shows the old original lyrics on my iPhone 5.

Is this some irreversible tweaking in tags done by the person who originally released the song or is it an error in itunes?

Please suggest a solution as I have googled a lot but nothing has helped so far.

Details: Mac OSX Mavericks / iTunes 11.2.2 / iPhone 5 / iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 3:11 AM

6 replies

Jul 10, 2014 5:00 AM in response to mustafa.amn

2014 discussion about edited tags for Store purchases reverting to originals - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6268799?answerId=26077896022#26077896022 - edited tags are still present in the media file but revert to the originals in the iTunes library file. Workaround is to refresh tags so media file tags are re-read and used in library file. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5982863?answerId=26193185022#26193185022

I don't have any store purchases but I don't think they came with lyrics in the first place, though I could be wrong. If they don't then clearly the above situation isn't what you're seeing. If they do then maybe that's why they are reverting.

Jul 10, 2014 8:19 AM in response to Limnos

I tried using the aforementioned apple script to refresh tags. It doesn't work, and the tags revert back to original. These songs were not purchased from iTunes store, but from another digital store called flyte, and they came with lyrics which have advertising included, which annoys me.

Well, if I put a space or any character in the lyrics space, it updates in my iTunes in Mac and I'm ok with it for the moment. But the same old lyrics show up on iPhone after syncing. How can I undo that?

And also note that this reverting happens only for the "lyrics" field. I'm successfully able to edit all other fields and they don't change later.

Jul 10, 2014 9:05 AM in response to mustafa.amn

Are the files locked? Tag edits are stored in two places. In iTunes itself and to the file. If the file is locked and transferred then possibly the unedited information is still there for the phone to read. Otherwise I don't know the answer. If the other vendor is adding advertisements to the lyrics to support its ventures then likely they understandably going to make it hard for you to remove them.

Jul 26, 2014 1:43 AM in response to mustafa.amn

I faced the same problem and tried a lot of the solutions but none don't work and a blank space as told here is not a 100 % solution. I found a complete solution for it. It has got to do with the tagging of the songs. MP3 has two tags one is version 1 and version 2, iTunes seems to work well with Version 2 and when information is missing it updates it from the version 2 tag and the lyrics info is back even after deleting in iTunes.

Try this solution and it works like ****.. Download a MP3 tag editor and delete all the problematic info from both version 1 and version 2 tags preferably delta all version 1 tag data from the MP3 file and you are set. the best client I found for Mac running Mavericks is kid 3 found in source forge, the link is given below.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kid3/

Then delete all the songs from iPod/iphone/ipad then re sync with iTunes on your mac.

Error with iTunes 11- Can't delete lyrics

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.