Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Viewing .doc/.docx files on new iMac

Hello folks,

I have a new iMac running 10.9.4. I don't seem to be able to open .doc or .docx files in either the new Pages (5.2) or Pages '09, which I've installed. Pages '09 can view both file types quite happily on my old iMac (10.7.5) so I'm a bit mystified.

Can anybody help? Not being able to open these files is a real problem ...

thanks in advance.

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 6:49 AM

3 replies

Jul 11, 2014 6:28 AM in response to monger of that ilk

Are these Word documents native to your new iMac filesystem, or are they resting on a Google, Dropbox, or other attached storage solution?

What error message is generated when you attempt to open a random Word document in Pages v5.2? Pages ’09? Preview? TextEdit? Do any of these applications just hang attempting to open the Word document?

What other applications that may open Word documents have you installed, if any?

If you single-click to select a random Word document, then press the Spacebar, what default application does Quick Look offer to use?

Jul 11, 2014 8:28 AM in response to monger of that ilk

Good. However, if v5.2 can open them, then ’09 should too, as you would expect.

Pages v5.2 is not an upgrade to ’09, as it is a separate application design, build, and document architecture. Unfortunately, it is a bit rough around the edges for most coping styles, and many have returned to Pages ’09 to get productive work accomplished.

Viewing .doc/.docx files on new iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.