Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Optimizing an event versus Optimizing a library

Hi there,

Ive set up my FCPX workflow with my main library on the Macbook Pro SSD with over 300gb of space. All masters are kept on a fast external drive and im currently using proxies on my laptop SSD to do the main edit. Only at the end when I am due to grade and add effects will I switch up to optimized footage.

However, I've just added a nice intro and i'd really like to see what it looks like optimized before I move on. Does FCPX render everything in a library to optimized when you switch up from proxies or can I test just an event.

I guess the alternative way to do this is create a separate library which is optimized and just copy my event (plus assets across) but is this necessary or can I just 'target' render specific events to optimize as I go along?

Cheers

Andy

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 6:23 AM

4 replies

Jul 10, 2014 7:00 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Sort of but not confused just might have used the wrong technical language.

I want to switch between Proxies and optimized media but I don't want to do the entire library at the moment, just a specific timeline/project. Im not refering to my render files. Im just asking if when I activate Optimized does it start converting the masters (the language I used incorectly was 'render') across the entire library or just for the content ive got on the timeline in a specific project. Im trying to test something at its highest quality (not proxies) and then if its ok ill switch back to proxies and continue editing as normal.

Apology if I hadn't explained myself in the correct vernacular.

Cheers

Andy

Jul 10, 2014 7:08 AM in response to drewpeck

You do not switch between proxy and optimized; you switch between proxy and original/optimized.

When you choose original/optimized, FCP X will use optimized media only if it is available, otherwise it will use the original media.

To answer your question directly, FCP X will NOT starting generating any optimized media if you make the switch.

FCP X only creates optimized media if you explicitly tell it to - which can be done either on import, or at any time, by control-clicking the clip(s) in the browser and choosing Transcode Media... and then ticking the optimized media box.

Optimizing an event versus Optimizing a library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.