Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My TP-LINK TD-W8970 router cannot connect with my iMac even though my iPhone 5, iPad 3, W7 laptop and LG smart TV can. I get the message "No configured AirPort base stations have been found". Any ideas please?

My iMac cannot connect to my TP-LINK TD-W8970 router even though all other computers can. I get the message "No configured AirPort base stations have been found" and "No PPPoE configurations were found". Any ideas please?

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 6:36 AM

17 replies

Jul 10, 2014 9:08 AM in response to Rudegar

No Rudegar. My Mac just won't connect to the router even though it recognises it (in the list for wi-fi). It says "Ethernet unplugged or not responding" etc.

Funnily enough I've just had the latest OS X Mavericks update and the list of improvements addresses the issue of Mac's not recognising some wi-fi networks but after updating I still can't get internet wirelessly. I've just rebooted the router so fingers crossed?

Jul 10, 2014 1:40 PM in response to Appleiain

Appleiain wrote:

Done all that thanks. I can get on internet if I use an ethernet cable, they're just not talking to each other wirelessly?

You restarted AND checked to see that both the router and modem has the most up-to-date firmware? If not then please check, also if you can connect via Ethernet to the router, why don't you simply use that method? You will get faster speeds if you do.

If for some reason you have to use Wi-Fi open up System Preferences - Networking and ensure Wi-Fi is in the top position in the window to the left.

Jul 10, 2014 2:19 PM in response to Linc Davis

I get as far as it saying "No configured AirPort base stations have been found", "Cable unplugged or not recognising other end". I'm doing this from memory now as I'm in bed but I've tried running everything, even assigning an IP address to my iMac's MAC address. I just think they are not compatible. Don't understand why the iPhone and Pad connected effortlessly and the Mac is playing silly buggers!

Jul 10, 2014 2:23 PM in response to Appleiain

Appleiain wrote:

I get as far as it saying "No configured AirPort base stations have been found", "Cable unplugged or not recognising other end". I'm doing this from memory now as I'm in bed but I've tried running everything, even assigning an IP address to my iMac's MAC address. I just think they are not compatible. Don't understand why the iPhone and Pad connected effortlessly and the Mac is playing silly buggers!

That sounds like you are using Airport Utility, the report you are getting of "No configured AirPort base stations have been found" is accurate because you are using a TP-LINK TD-W8970 router. Airport Utility only works if you use an Apple Airport Extreme router, Airport Express router or Time Capsule router. Airport Utility will not work with third party routers.

Jul 10, 2014 2:35 PM in response to Appleiain

Open the Network pane in System Preferences. If there's a closed padlock icon in the lower left corner, click it and enter your administrator login password when prompted.

At the bottom of the service list on the left is a popup menu with a gear icon. From that menu, select

Set Service Order...

A sheet will drop down showing all listed services. Drag the one that you want to use to connect to the Internet to the top of the list. Click OK to close the sheet, then close the preference pane and confirm when prompted to save the change.

My TP-LINK TD-W8970 router cannot connect with my iMac even though my iPhone 5, iPad 3, W7 laptop and LG smart TV can. I get the message "No configured AirPort base stations have been found". Any ideas please?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.