Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot access time machine, backup disk not available error code.

My time machine stopped backing up. It is a 2TB. I get error code -6584. and says backup disk not available. Coincidentally, I had to reset my time machine for a forgotten password about 6 days ago. Wi-fi works fine, but a few days later when trying to access old files throughout the time capsule I could not. Said my last back up was the day the time machine had to be reset. I have 1.79 of TB used..which is weird my computer is only 4 G and have only filled up 2.4 G of it.

ANy ideas?

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 6:48 AM

2 replies

Jul 10, 2014 2:20 PM in response to dsschuldt

We haven't seen report of problem with 6584 for a while. It generally means a corrupted backup. You need to do a verify of the back.

See A5 here. http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

This will take a very very long time if the backup has almost filled the TC.. so at least use ethernet connection.

You do have a problem.. the formatted capacity of a 2TB disk is 1.8TB.. If you have used up 1.79TB then sorry but you really need to erase the TC and start over.

The TM can fill up huge disks if you use parallels or dropbox or any dual boot system that has a virtual disk file.. TM will backup 20GB for every 1KB change. That file is hidden btw so you might not see it but I assure you it will chew up space.

I don't know what you mean by computer having only 4GB. That would make it rather ancient.. Surely even smallest SSD must be 64 or 128GB.

Cannot access time machine, backup disk not available error code.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.