Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop my iPhone from connecting to the WiFi connection that my laptop just used?

I have an iPhone (7.1.2) and MacBook Pro (10.9.4). When I connect to a WiFi connection on my laptop, my iPhone always connects to the same network, even though I've explicitly told my iPhone to forget about specific networks.This issue ends up disabling the internet on my iPhone, as I often connect to networks on my laptop that require VPN connections, logins, etc that I am unable or unwilling to do on my iPhone. How do I keep the two separate?

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 8:30 AM

3 replies

Jul 10, 2014 10:28 AM in response to chattphotos

Let me give you an example. I'm at a United lounge at O'Hare Airport right now. They have WiFi here but it requires that you log on in order to connect to the internet. I connect to WiFi from my laptop. All good. Then, immediately, my iPhone connects to the same network. But because I haven't logged on from my iPhone, I can't get online. This kills the internet on my iPhone because I'm connected to a network with no internet access. If on my iPhone I "Forget this Network" and then come back next week, I'll find that it connects to the exact same network.

I travel a lot and almost all of the networks I use on a daily basis require a login of some sort.

I could turn off WiFi but then I have to remember to turn it on when I actually do want to connect to a network, like when I'm at home.

Any idea how to prevent the mirroring of WiFi connections? Or at a minimum make sure the "Forget this Network" option actually works?

How do I stop my iPhone from connecting to the WiFi connection that my laptop just used?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.