Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens to my iPhoto library after 2014?

I have a MacBook Pro using OXS 10.8.5 and have all my photos in iPhoto 8.1.2. It has worked for me for all these years. I understand that Apple will be phasing out iPhoto and Aperture (which I have downloaded but never learned how to use). Now I am getting really concerned as to what will happen to all the photos which I currently have in my iPhoto library, and subsequently on several hard drives. I have purchased Lightroom 3, but again, need some assistance in initiating any importing, post editing etc. in it. Any suggestions? Comments?

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 8:09 AM

Hey fotocano,

I wouldn't worry so much over your photos. Just make sure you keep a backup somewhere, like to an external hard drive or a cloud storage service, just in case something does happen. That way you will always have another copy. But I don't believe Apple would intentionally delete your photos or any other personal data, they haven't so far. The biggest worry is what happens if the hard drive on your computer dies and you don't have a backup?

Make sure to keep a backup 😉

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2014 8:09 AM in response to fotocano

Hey fotocano,

I wouldn't worry so much over your photos. Just make sure you keep a backup somewhere, like to an external hard drive or a cloud storage service, just in case something does happen. That way you will always have another copy. But I don't believe Apple would intentionally delete your photos or any other personal data, they haven't so far. The biggest worry is what happens if the hard drive on your computer dies and you don't have a backup?

Make sure to keep a backup 😉

Jul 10, 2014 8:17 AM in response to Mr. Apple101

Hi, You can be sure that I have several backups. I have Time Machine, I have an external Seagate 4TB hard drive, I also have a secondary HP Laptop and all my photos are also in Picasa on that computer and I have a ClickFree back up for that computer. OCD??? Perhaps! But, I will have to start using Lightroom, sooner or later and have to convert my photos (or is it, import photos) into Lightroom. Are there courses or training where I could learn to do this? I understand that LR's library is not as intuitive as iPhotos Events, etc. What is the best way to start? Also, if my current computer crashes and I need to replace it with an upgraded OS, will my iPhoto '09 still be usable?

Jul 10, 2014 8:30 AM in response to fotocano

Awesome! I do the same thing. Data recovery cost way too much for any normal person. Unfortunately I don't have Lightroom so I can't provide any good advice for you, hopefully someone else here can enlighten us. My best advice would be to check Youtube, great for tutorial videos.

As to your other question, if your mac goes down and it's on 10.8.5 and you then replace it with a newer mac running 10.9.4 it will automatically upgrade your iPhoto library for you if you've restored an older iPhoto library. So there's no need for concern there, but keep in mind once it's upgraded to work with the newer version of iPhoto it will no longer work with older versions.

Jul 10, 2014 11:16 AM in response to Mr. Apple101

OK, so I'm really confused now. Are you saying that there will be a newer version of iPHOTO (as part of iLIFE) down the line? My impressions as that Apple was going to do away with Aperture and iPhoto altogether by the end of the year 😕 Where is my misunderstanding? Should I be upgrading from iPhoto '09 to iPhoto '11 ? Or do I just suck it up and figure out Lightroom?

Jul 10, 2014 11:49 AM in response to fotocano

There is a new app coming which will provide an upgrade path from both iPhoto and Aperture. So not a newer version of iPhoto nor a newer version of Aperture, but a whole new application.

Apple will update iPhoto and Aperture to run on the next version of the OS due in the Autumn. That means that you don't need to change anything for at least 15 - 18 months. That means you have time to look at the new app when it comes out and see if it's right for you. If it's not then you can fork out to buy Lightroom or Capture One or another app.

I would suggest upgrading to iPhoto 11 as I think the transition to the new app will probably be easier with it than earlier versions.

What happens to my iPhoto library after 2014?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.