Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing Old Library to iTunes

I just got a new PC, so I was cleaning out my old one, taking files I might need and putting them on an external harddrive so I could just move them over.

I took the "Library.xml" file from the iTunes directory on my old PC, and unfortunately (as the support guides are incredibly outdated from 2012) there is no option similar to the guides that allows me to import a new library, or even add an existing .xml file.

I have added all my music to the new PC, all I want to do is have my old playlists back. Have I taken the wrong file, should I have taken the .itl file from my old PC instead of the .xml?

I've tried some basic troubleshooting, deleting the .itl file, trying to shove the .xml file in there, but it just redoes itself to the current library.

Running:

Windows 8.1 and the latest version of iTunes available for download: 11.3 [ as of 07/2014]

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 7:58 AM

1 reply

Importing Old Library to iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.