Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing iMessages

My iPhone was getting fixed so I used an old phone for a while. People sent me iMessages that I couldn't receive, I assumed they'd come through once I put my sim back in my iPhone, but they haven't. Does anyone know how I can find these messages?

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 8:37 AM

5 replies

Jul 10, 2014 8:40 AM in response to hannfran

What was the old phone you were using, was it an iOS device? How long was the iPhone out of service. Depending on the settings for those people sending the messages, if they have it set to send as SMS with an iMessage failure, then it could have come through as an SMS. If not, I'm not sure what the default time period is for an iMessage to sit in the message queue, but I don't believe it is very long, and I do not believe Apple retains any records of messages. They could just be lost.

Jul 10, 2014 8:46 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Here's the answers to your questions

1. Yes - an iPhone 4 with the most update software

2. About a week

There were just sent as iMessages - my old nokia got things people sent as texts. I don't think people got messages saying they hadn't been sent, which I assume would happen if it failed?

It seems to be a pretty common problem but most people just talk about how to turn off iMessage rather than how to find iMessages that have been lost.

I've had people looking round my flat who might've sent them so need to get them back if possible.

Jul 10, 2014 8:49 AM in response to hannfran

So while your iPhone was getting fixed you were using an iPhone 4 with the latest software? If so, then you should have received the iMessages sent if you had iMessage activated. If this is not correct, then I don't believe you will be able to recover the iMessages. Since you have an active iMessage account, then the people sending messages would not see that as a failure, but they get lost in the system. I'm not aware of any method to recover them.

Jul 10, 2014 9:00 AM in response to hannfran

In that case, I believe the messages are lost. I'm not aware of any way to recover them, and this is just like someone not logging out of iMessage and using a different phone. The messages are undelivered, but the Apple system still believes you have an iMessage account. You can try to contact Apple via the Contact Us link on the bottom of the pae, but I still believe they are lost. Apple has stated they do not save iMessage data on their servers.

Missing iMessages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.