Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you stop iOS 7 from auto enlarging your background picture?

How do you stop iOS 7 from auto enlarging your background picture? And before it's mentioned, no, Turing off Reduce Motion has absolutely NO effect on the auto enlarge feature that apple stupidly thought would be a good idea. The Reduce Motion ONLY stops the background from subtly shifting as you turn or angle the iDevice.

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 9:11 AM

User uploaded file

See where it says "Perspective Zoom?"

You should see this if you have iOS 7.1 or later and have "Reduce Motion" OFF.

23 replies

Jul 10, 2014 10:15 AM in response to Kaliko Wolf

I don't believe that you can get the scaling 100% back to how it was before iOS 7. What may work is to manually resize the image to the exact pixel width/height using a PC and using that image but even then, I'm not sure the device itself will fit the image exactly as you want it.

There are numerous apps in the App Store that claim to fix this issue but I have not tried any of them to verify.

Jul 10, 2014 10:47 AM in response to Kaliko Wolf

The only semi workaround is to go into your photos app and 'send' your image to be a wallpaper. GIves you a bit more control than going in through the wallpaper panel.

Still the system demands that all the screen be filled, so it automatically zooms in as much as it takes to fill the screen, which usually only leaves you the ability to move your image up and down or left to right.

The higher resolution your image is also helps since there are more pixels to play with

Jul 10, 2014 11:53 AM in response to Kaliko Wolf

Why your wallpapers look messed up on iOS 7, and how to fix them!

http://www.imore.com/having-issues-wallpapers-ios-7-heres-why-and-how-fix-it

How to Change iPad Wallpaper and Grab or Save Images from the Web

http://portables.about.com/od/newsandviews/ss/iPad-tutorials_5.htm

You could use the free Instafit app https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/instafit-post-photos-to-instagram/id591706840?mt =8

Cheers, Tom 😉

Jul 10, 2014 1:06 PM in response to Kaliko Wolf

This is the basic issue for either an iPad or iPhone.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6261

What iOS 7 does differently is that it will not allow an image to have a blank area on the screen. You can find thousands of wallpaper images on the web, and virtually all of them are rectangular to fit the shape of the device screen in the tall orientation. That's the problem. iOS 7 forces a narrow image to be large enough to fit the smaller dimension of the image to the longer dimension of the screen. It then stays that size so when it rotates on center, the image maintains its position no matter which way you turn the device.

To avoid that, the image needs to be square. I'm not exactly sure if 2524 x 2524 is absolutely necessary for the iPad. I happened to find an original copy of the surf wave image Apple installs with iOS 7, and that was its size. Any I create to that size do work. I just haven't tested to see if a larger or smaller image would work just as well.

Jul 10, 2014 1:27 PM in response to Kaliko Wolf

Yup, but it can't be helped under iOS 7. Created to the correct size, in portrait mode, you see all of the height of your image, but the width (of course) gets cut off. Turned to landscape orientation, you see all of the width, but the height gets cut off. In both cases, a natural consequence of the screen not being a square itself. If you check Apple's supplied desktop images in iOS 7, and any previous version of iOS, they do the same thing. All of Apple's supplied images have always been square. They're just never shown that way in the settings.

Jul 10, 2014 1:42 PM in response to Kurt Lang

True, but I have my iPad locked in landscape position. Not to mention, that defeats the purpose of allowing us to set our own desktops. But the issue I'm talking about is the fact that when you go to wallpapers and try to set a big image as your background, it will not let you pinch it smaller to fit the screen. So what if the image has boarders if you rotate it this way or that. It should be my choice, not apples. I own the device, not rent it. I should be allowed to take a 3d abstract art 1920x1080 wallpaper and pinch it to fit my screen and save it. When you pinch an image, it just rubber-bands back. I didn't pay $900 so Apple could dictate the limitations of a background wallpaper... One of extremely few personalizations you can do to the iDevices. Ya know..

Jul 10, 2014 1:50 PM in response to Kaliko Wolf

It should be my choice, not apples.

And I agree. But neither of us is a programming engineer at Apple, and so don't get to make those decisions. The user tip I wrote was based on the fact I didn't like it either, and was trying to figure out why it was scaling an image up in the first place, and then how to fix it as best as possible.

Since you've locked your iPad to one orientation, you should be able to copy your custom image off to your Mac (assuming you own one) and use an image editor, such as Photoshop Elements, to add pixel area to the narrow dimension to make it the same number of pixels as the larger dimension. Increase the canvas size so the extra space leaves the original narrower dimension centered, as in this example:

User uploaded file

Copy it back to your iPad and select the modified image. Since it's square, it shouldn't scale.

Aug 24, 2014 5:50 AM in response to Kaliko Wolf

This issue has driven me to distraction and I'm REALLY sick of people posting "solutions" that don't work, almost certainly because they're iPHONE users.

Irrespective of the "Reduce Motion" setting, or the "Perspective Zoom" setting, or whether the wallpaper dialogue is accessed directly through Settings or from within Photos, the outcome is always exactly the same for users of the iPAD models with retina resolution (2048 x 1536).

iOS 7 prioritizes PORTRAIT orientation (presumably because it is fundamentally designed to optimize the iPHONE interface, since that is Apple's cash cow product).

On the iPAD, as far as I can determine, a wallpaper image will NOT fit pixel-for-pixel in LANDSCAPE orientation, EVEN if the image is 2048 pixels SQUARE (or 2524 pixels for parallax).

iOS 7 will STILL, ALWAYS, zoom the landscape view up to the maximum width of the PORTRAIT screen (1536 native pixels - without parallax - or 1893 pixels with it).

I should publish a whole article on this nonsense in due course, with explanations, but in the meantime here is the fix that DOES work to get your wallpaper pixel-perfect on your iPad in landscape orientation.

A. Non-parallax ("Perspective Zoom" Off, "Reduce Motion" On):

1. Size your desired image to exactly 2048 pixels horizontal. Anything else is just stupid, no matter how big, because you want control over quality and only an exact pixel match between image and screen can ever achieve that.

2. Whatever the vertical size, crop it or add blank space ("canvas size") so that it's exactly 2731 pixels high.

3. Check: you now have a PORTRAIT image of 2048 x 2731 pixels.

4. Apply this as your wallpaper, zooming out for maximum viewable size. In landscape orientation, it will be a perfect fit. In portrait orientation, it will be reduced to fit, and any blank padding will be visible, but we don't care about that; only iPHONE users do, and Apple seems to like them much more than you and I.

B. Parallax ("Perspective Zoom"):

1. Size your desired image to exactly 2524 pixels horizontal. Again, anything else is just stupid, no matter how big, because you want control over quality and only an exact pixel match between image and screen can ever achieve that.

2. Whatever the vertical size, crop it or add blank space ("canvas size") so that it's exactly 3365 pixels high.

3. Check: you now have a PORTRAIT image of 2524 x 3365 pixels.

4. Apply this as your wallpaper. First turn Perspective Zoom Off, and zoom out completely for maximum viewable size. Now turn Perspective Zoom On: in landscape orientation, it will snap out to be a perfect pixel-for-pixel fit (as long as you don't tilt the iPad and move the image). This is as good as you can hope to get.

How do you stop iOS 7 from auto enlarging your background picture?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.