Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get my MBP M 10.9.4 to extend desktop to my HDTV via hdmi cable

Hi, I'm having an issue getting the desktop to extend on my second screen (LG - 22S4R LCD HDTV) from my MacBook Pro (13-inch Retina, Late 2013, Mavericks 10.9.4)

I can get it to mirror the desktop, but only if i scale it to 720p or 1080i, i was hoping to use this screen as a second desktop so I could work more efficiently.

Any help or advice would be most welcome

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 8:08 AM

5 replies

Jul 10, 2014 8:45 AM in response to actionmarker

Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply, however I think you may have misunderstood my question.

I can get it to scale, thats not a problem (although it seems to only work on 720p and 1080i)

My problem is that the second monitor will only work if i'm mirroring my MBP desktop, for the work I need to do I need it as a second screen with my desktop extended. I just can't make it work though

It works perfectly with my 43 inch Samsung PS42Q7HD Plasma TV though...

Jul 10, 2014 6:03 PM in response to DJmonkeypoo

So what, if anything, is displayed on the external display when you are not mirroring the primary display?

I'm not sure why you are only seeing 720p and 1080i, but it could be;

• a limitation with the external monitor
  • a limitation due to the cable you are using
  • a limitation of OS X in detecting what it believes that they are the only resolutions for that display

What setting do you have in System Preferences > Mission Control - Displays have separate Spaces?

User uploaded file

If this setting is checked, then both displays should work independently of each other, with their own menu bars at the top of the display and the dock can move between the displays, if the displays are set next to each other in System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement and the dock is set to be a the bottom of the display in System Preferences > Dock.

• With this setting, apps can only be in one or the other display, you cannot extend an app over the two displays.
  • With this setting, each display has its own set of Spaces

If this setting is unchecked, then the displays work as an extended display where the two displays occupy one Space. The dock and menu bar will only appear on the primary display.

• With this setting, if you change the Space, both displays change to that new Space
  • With this setting, apps can be extended to fill both displays if you wish, but again, only if they are set next to each other in System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement.
  • With this setting, there is an OS X limitation in that, if you are using an app in Full Screen mode, the the other display cannot be used and it will only display a grey background.

So based on my descriptions that I have posted here, are you able to use the external display as you wish?

Can't get my MBP M 10.9.4 to extend desktop to my HDTV via hdmi cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.