Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moved itunes directory in c/users/music to f/users/music

in window7 I truncated the paths in the subject title for simplicity. actual changes were:

C:\Users\antares4141\Music to F:\Users\antares4141\Music

Told iTunes where to look via edit/preferences/advanced/change

What's going to happen when I plug in my ipad? Assume all will go well. All the apps are backed up in this (new) directory on f: partition (same drive deliberately cause I made the mistake of using an external one once and will never do that again). Just came out of a full restore with ipad and change to my desktop cause I've been plagued with iOS crashing on laptop because of an intermittent usb port. Don't want to go through this again.

The C drive is ghosted and whenever I feel like it might be compromised I restore it. So would like to move the app/data/applecomputer directory also. I guess I could look this up but if anyone knows a good tutorial on how to do this it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 8:44 AM

5 replies

Jul 10, 2014 8:52 AM in response to Antares4141

You did that an iTunes still works? I am surprised. You should be told there's a blank library unless you also did a step you didn't mention, namely holding down the shift key while starting iTunes and guiding it to the relocated library. You should-not/did-not need to do anything with preferences settings.

I'm not positive but your backup files location may be hard coded into iTunes:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4946 - iTunes: About iOS backups > Where iTunes backups are stored on your computer

Jul 10, 2014 9:28 AM in response to Limnos

Yes iTunes worked nothing seemed out of the normal but I was afraid to plug in my ipad and have it say "you need to restore you ipad" all 1.5gb. That always is a drag. I did try what you said with the shift key and it directed me to the new directory I created. The library file was there so I clicked on it and it took. Don't know weather I needed to or not but thanks! I know there is a way to move the backup directory also did it once to an external drive and it worked fine until I forgot to plug it in once. ITunes response "you need to restore your ipad" I'll never do that again. I want to put it on a different partition on the same physical drive.

Jul 10, 2014 11:46 AM in response to Antares4141

Well I was a little nervous but I went ahead and plugged my ipad in and synced some photos. Everything worked perfectly.

So I still have my backup files on my c: drive but I got all the media over to my F: drive (same physical drive) wouldn't recommend a different physical drive unless you have a fast internet connection and don't mind re-installing i0S.

Pretty easy

1. right click your "my music" folder on c drive. Select properties and look for the location tab. Move it to your preferably second partition on same drive.

2. Hold down the shift key and run iTunes. You'll be prompted to point towards the new folder. Do so and click on the library file that will be in that folder.

I think that's what I did anyways.

Jul 10, 2014 11:49 AM in response to Antares4141

Oh, finally remembered where I saw how to move the backup files:

http://www.howtogeek.com/164275/how-to-change-the-backup-location-of-itunes-or-a ny-windows-app/

And I would definitely recommend keeping this on the same physical drive as iTunes cause if you forget to plug it in before you run itunes you will probably loose iOS on you ipad and your backup in iTunes.

Moved itunes directory in c/users/music to f/users/music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.