Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Redirect search from address bar?

We are trying to block google search at my school and force / redirect to Bing for Schools so all searches are safe. I have it working so if google.com is put in to the address bar it will redirect to Bing but if they search direct from the address bar it will still use google. There is no way to force which search engine is the default. Does anyone know how I might be able to get the address bar search to redirect? Thanks,

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 9:57 AM

8 replies

Jul 10, 2014 11:01 AM in response to rccharles

No, Bing Safe Search for schools is based on your static IP. You set it up with Bing so that all Bing requests that are delivered to your IP are filtered to be "Safe".

"Safe" browsers are terrible and can not open links from emails and the like.

I have a Proxy set up but if I had to add every bad site out there, I would need a few years...

Jul 10, 2014 11:17 AM in response to Distearth

Shouldn't you be using parental restrictions on the device with a list of allowed/ disallowed sites?

It sure is a pain to manage, but you can allow or block sites that way. I think you can send that out via config profiles or your MDM server. They will get 'access denied' instead of a redirect.

Otherwise your proxy should be configured to filter the sites on these devices. Just bear in mind taking out google.com can also effect google maps on sites that are used for research and think about any teachers who use gmail etc.

Jul 11, 2014 7:46 PM in response to rccharles

You should also be aware that the kiddies can change their effective ip address by using a web based proxy server. Thus, getting around bing filtering.

an example would be. You got to incloak.com then type in your real web address. bing see incloak's ip address. incloak delivers whatever it see from bing to the kiddies web browser.

incloak. com

more details here...

http://www.wikihow.com/Block-Your-IP-Address

Or picking another search engine like yahoo, answer.com, etc.

You should be letting the professionals deal with this not re-inventing a wheel with a leak in it. Using a proxy server such as k9 avoids this hack.

Robert

Redirect search from address bar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.