Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CDs & DVDs option is missing from my System Preferences panel

Hello,

I recently tried to switch my default DVD preferences to open VLC player when I inserted a video DVD from another region into my computer. I downloaded VLC and then, in my system preferences, clicked on CDs & DVDs and set the default option for video DVDs to VLC player. After I did this, I noticed that my DVD was still spit out from my computer after I put it in, so I attempted to reset my preferences again, but found that my CDs & DVDs option would no longer respond. I then deleted VLC player and restarted my computer, only to find that my CDs and DVDs icon was no longer found in my system preferences panel. I searched for it in my computer, and when it arose in Spotlight, I clicked on it and received this message "You can’t open the “CDs & DVDs” preferences pane because it is not available to you at this time."

Any ideas on what I can do to get my CD & DVD preferences back?

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 9:40 AM

5 replies

Jul 14, 2014 1:47 PM in response to uclamanda

I booted my Mavericks external HDD and got this:

User uploaded file

The difference is that I have 10.9.1 where as you have 10.9.4. Someplace along the way it has disappeared. I do not have time to download the latest version of Mavericks right now. You might try a reinstall of Mavericks, but I suspect that will be futile and you will get the same result. The other option is to reinstall an earlier version which is not a proper solution.

I would bring this to an Apple store genius bar and pose this question to them. The technicians are not really software oriented, at least not in these situations, but they may be able to forward the problem to the proper department. I have no real solution for you.

Ciao.

CDs & DVDs option is missing from my System Preferences panel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.