Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accessing/copying photos in iPhoto

I am so frustrated!!!! I am trying to copy and paste photos that I have uploaded from my iPhone 4S (7.1.2) to my Macbook Pro (10.9.4) using iPhoto (8.1.2). My iPhoto app came with my Mac. I just tried to upgrade to the latest in the Apple Store but for some reason it would not offer me that option despite all efforts and coming at it from various directions. I got to where it looks like I should be able to and then no options available - so I don't know if this is a version issue or not. But I don't think it is.

I am trying to send photos as attachments to Gmail emails. I can send emails with photos still on my phone but I don't want to type everything on my phone. I can send individual photos using share and the Mac "Mail" but I don't use that for anything and don't want to. I just want to be able to find, copy, and attach photos I have imported from my phone to my Mac. They are not visible using Finder, at least with the "IMG_0xxx" photo id that is in iPhoto. I have tried to go into various folders and the iPhoto library but no joy. I just can't seem to find them.

Must be something simple if I have just missed it, or, based on my recent last two years of love/hate/despise relationship with all things Apple, it may not in fact be possible. I try to just up to date on software versions but each one seems to break more things than it fixes.

Any advice help is appreciated.

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 10:02 AM

9 replies

Jul 10, 2014 10:26 AM in response to maggiedrum

This screenshot shows which previous versions of iPhoto are compatible with Mavericks. It also indicates which versions qualify for a free upgrade to iPhoto 9.5.1 and which require a purchase:

User uploaded file

Note 1: every day more users are reporting problems with iPhoto 8.1.2 so I've included it in the non compatible category.

Note 2: If your previous version of iPhoto was iPhoto 7 (08) or earlier you'll need to download and run the iPhoto Library Upgrader 1.1 application on the library before opening it with iPhoto 9.5.1

How area you getting the photos from your iPhone into your iPhoto Library? Are you doing this:

1 - connect your iPhone to the Mac with it's USB cord.

2 - launch iPhoto.

3 - iPhoto will see the iPhone and you can import the photos into your iPhoto library. Don't let iPhoto delete the photos off the iPhone. It's best to do that, if you want to, from the iPhone itself.

Now with the photos in your library select those photos you want to email and click on the Mail button at the bottom:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jul 10, 2014 11:21 AM in response to maggiedrum

You need to learn how to use iPhoto - it replaces the finder for your photos - the easiest way to sent photos from iPhoto is to use the iPhoto share via email - I personally recommend that you set Mail as your email client. this will require that you purchase an upgrade to iPhoto '11 9.5.1 in the App store - backup your iPhoto library prior to any upgrade

But you can send any way you want - if you are using a browser or some email client other than iPhoto then you access your photos via the media browser - in the lower left of the attach window under media ==> photos ==> iPhoto

LN

Jul 10, 2014 11:30 AM in response to maggiedrum

To upgrade from iPhoto v8.1.2 (which is iPhoto 09) to the latest version of iPhoto (iPhoto 11) requires a purchase at the Mac App Store. There is no other way.

I am trying to send photos as attachments to Gmail emails.

Gmail is a service and you access the service using an application. In the case if Gmail you can use Mail.app on your Mac or any number of 3rd party options and any web browser you choose. As you don't specify what you're using to access the service I'll guess you're using a Web Browser.

Have a read of this:

For help accessing your photos in iPhoto see this user tip:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4491

Note the very first picture. That's the option you want.

Jul 11, 2014 7:14 AM in response to Old Toad

I tried the upgrader and it says my photos are already OK for the 9.x upgrade (not a surprise but I wonder about any photos that I had saved using the previous versions). I dod import photos from my iPhone as you describe. I do not let iPhoto delete my iPhone pics as I worry about a screwup (good decision as I don't trust iPhoto in any form or fashion).

I cannot use the Email option you suggest as it does not give Gmail as an option. So I have been emailing to my Gmail account and then forwarding those emails using Gmail. I will not force my contacts to learn two different email accounts, nor do I want to go through all that brain damage. And when I do email the pics, they are unclickable/unchooseable so I cannot open and save them.

Your reply does not help but thanks for trying.

Jul 11, 2014 8:21 AM in response to LarryHN

TD - thanks for you words of advice. Trust me, I have been trying to learn this very obtuse piece of crap for a few years now. iPhoto does not allow me use Gmail directly - see my reply above. I do go through a Gmail server for Mail but I do not want to use an entirely separate email client which requires an entirely new email address. I want to attach photos to existing threads in my Gmail account. Mail is not a very good client anyway IMO.

As far as upgrading to iPhoto 9.1.2, please reread my first note on this thread. I get in to a circular loop at the App store which never gets me to a purchase option. It gives a price of $14.99 with a down arrow. Normally clicking that would purchase it for me. Instead it loops me back to the generic descripiton of how great iPhoto is with an option to go purchase it which gets me back to the purchase screen which then loops back ad nauseum. Pretty odd and very unhelpful.

But your link (How to Access Files in iPhoto) was very helpful and told me exactly what I needed to know to use Gmail by dragging an iPhoto pic to the attach button, or to just save a copy of a photo to my desktop by dragging and dropping. My only wish is that the manuals and help for iPhoto (and all Apple apps) would be better. I tried every combination of searching help I could find, and googling for answers too. The only way I got this info is to finally come to the support community, which worked in this case. Thanks....

Jul 11, 2014 8:31 AM in response to maggiedrum

Let me give you a piece of solid advice: stop using iPhoto. It's obvious that you don't get it and when you're reduced to swearing at a piece of software the sensible thing is to accept that it's not for you and find something else. It's not compulsory and there are lots of alternatives.

iPhoto does not allow me use Gmail directly - see my reply above.

Nothing does. That's part of your problem. See my reply above. Gmail is a service and you can only access the service with an application. As long as you have difficulty with these concepts you will have problems.

Jul 11, 2014 9:32 AM in response to maggiedrum

I cannot use the Email option you suggest as it does not give Gmail as an option.

You don't setup you Gmail account in iPhoto but in Mail. Then you use Mail to access and use you Gmail account. Launch Mail, go to it's Accounts Preference pane and click on the "+" button at the bottom. Then select Add Other Email Account" and enter your Gmail information. Now when you go to email from iPhoto 8.1.2 Mail will open and will send via your Gmail account.

Jul 12, 2014 7:02 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terence - thanks for your kind words about how I don't get it. I am not trying, nor do I want to be forced, to use iPhoto to send my photos via an application OR service I prefer not to use. If that is the only way to do so, then it is my decision to accept that or not, and indeed, stop using it. But I paid for it and I prefer that it play nice with the rest of the world. I understand why it is easier to develop a set of compimentary software (whether it is a service running an application on a server or as an application running on my Mac) in a closed system way. Your terminoloty of "service" and "application" are not universally accepted and not widely used by all the users out there. I have bona fides as system designer and developer but I won't assume that would make any difference to smug people out there and was there when the client/server model was initially developed and since turned into to server-based iCloud-type database services. BTW I don't like having my sensitive personal info on a machine I can't lock up for myself but I am just paranoid and naive. But I am fine being able to copy and access my photos with other applications that run on my personal Mac, and also to use the "service" that Gmail provides running their application via a client/server model. I don't like Apple changing the rules to force me to use iCloud as a service to replace my Contacts application running on my iPhone and Mac. Sure it is handy to have iCloud do that but I would prefer to have the option to keep local control of my contacts and calendar and there was no reason for Apple to force me to use iCloud except for other business reasons that benefit them more than it does me.

I did thank you for providing me the info to allow me to do exactly what I wanted to do. I don't find iPhoto to be either intuitive nor well documented which is why there are people like you out there that have fun helping ignorant people like me to ask questions for answers that should be provided by iPhoto documentation. I did spend over an hour trying to find the answers you gave me and only came here as a last resort. Believe me, it is not fun to have to do that with everything Apple (and Microsoft, et al). One of my hats in previous jobs was to manage the documentation process for far more arcane software than this. The standard was that a user should be able to understand how the software works without jumping through hoops like going to a support group to be put down by those who have the time to sort all this out full time (or during the other time that other people use to have a life).

I am used to using Gmail, and Outlook before that, and Yahoo before that..... I am not a power user. I don't want or care to. I use iPhoto because it is what came with my Mac and what works with my iPhone. It is a very closed architecture and this is not the only frustration I have had with this model, especially with the lack of complete support for the products. I won't bore you with the wide and numerous problems people smarter than me have had with Apple products. And in any case, swearing at software is a long and distinguished process. I am not the first and not the last. At least I was only thanking you for your help rather than swearing at you. I don't appreciate your condescending attitude for poor schmucks like me though.

Old Toad, regarding your advice, I actually have done and abandoned using Mail to go through my Gmail account. I don't really care for two layers of software trying to do something simple like this. And why should I? Mail may be an application rather than a service but from a user interface point of view they look and feel the same and you have to follow their rules of the application or service design. Gmail is not a perfect service but at least I know how to use it for my email. I don't really want to have to use Mail in additon, especially when I can access the Gmail service on any platform I happened to have to use at the moment. Mail is limited to my Mac since it is a Mac only application (I'm sure you will correct me if I am wrong on that). To each his/her own though. I do appreciate that you guys did help me and that I have the options to use the systems (whether as a service and/or application) in a way that best suits my skills and preference. I won't knock how you prefer to do your mail and photos. It is just not what I want to do if given the option. BTW - I have several reasons to wean myself away from the "service" that Google provides but that is not an Apple application issue.

Jul 12, 2014 7:30 AM in response to maggiedrum

My advice remains. Perhaps your inability to focus on the point is one of the problems you are having, along with your paranoia and your obvious ability to find offence where none is intended.

iPhoto does play nice with the world, there's nothing closed about it and you're not forced to use iCloud for anything. Maybe you need to work on those too.

Accessing/copying photos in iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.