Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

using a calculated value as a row number

This should be easy, but I know I'm missing something.

I'm calculating a row number. The formula (using the MATCH function) has been tested and the correct value is displayed in a cell.

Now I need to incorporate that value into a cell reference so I can get the contents of the cell I'm looking for.

Here's the idea. The row number value is in cell B2.

=Sheet 2::Table 1::B(VALUE(B2)) which generates a syntax error.

I've tried a few variations on the above. All lead to dead ends.

So, can someone let me know how to construct this reference ?

Thanks.

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 11:13 AM

10 replies

Jul 10, 2014 12:37 PM in response to SGIII

Darn it, I guess is use Address since I am always using the sheet (as well as column and row combinations) as an input and completely forgot index doesnt care if the sheet is not going to change. Got used to Address being very flexible, got used to using it and forgot to go simple and use index 🙂

Thanks SG, reminding me to rethink things, i forget that sometimes,

Jason

Jul 10, 2014 1:37 PM in response to SGIII

as an example, I have my teams vacation calendar made up in excel.

Each team member has a tab with their name on it where i have a vertical list of all approved vacation, sick days, etc... with dates, notes... you get the idea. It also has a count of all information for days remaining of each type of day (vacation, sick, floaters, etc)

On my summary and calendar view tabs, all i have to do is add their name to the top of a new column and fill equations over and that is used by address functions to know what sheet to go to for all those lookups in that column. for different types of data (date, reason code, notes) i also feed the column number to use on the destination sheet. So all arguments for the address function are references to other cells including what sheet to go to. One formula is used for all cells, no changes required, ever.

Makes adding or removing a team member sooo easy.

Jul 10, 2014 3:17 PM in response to Jonathan Milenko

you can do something like this to convert a calculated value to a valid address:

User uploaded file

enter the column (0 based) in B1 and the row (also 0 based) in C1

A1=INDIRECT(CHAR(CODE("A")+B1)&C1)

this is shorthand for... select cell A1, then type (or copy and paste from here) the formula:

=INDIRECT(CHAR(CODE("A")+B1)&C1)

to get the value in cell A3 enter 0 in cell B1 and and 3 in cell C1

to get the value in cell C5 enter 2 in cell B1 and and 5 in cell C1

To see how the address if formed just look at the argument to INDIRECT() by itself and change the values in B1 and C1

=CHAR(CODE("A")+B1)&C1

using a calculated value as a row number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.