Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Update 4S

I want to update my iPhone 4s to version iOS 7.1.2. It said I needed more storage, so I purchased more. I now have 15 GB of storage and it still says I need more storage and will not allow me to update. Anybody?

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 10:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 10:38 AM

You bought more icloud backup storage and not more storage/memory for your phone. If you bought a 16/32/64 GB phone, that is what you have can't add more.

You will need to go thru your phone and start deleting some stuff.

Settings - general - usage - show all apps - see what is taken up all your memory.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2014 10:38 AM in response to SandGal

You bought more icloud backup storage and not more storage/memory for your phone. If you bought a 16/32/64 GB phone, that is what you have can't add more.

You will need to go thru your phone and start deleting some stuff.

Settings - general - usage - show all apps - see what is taken up all your memory.

Jul 10, 2014 11:09 AM in response to SandGal

Hello SandGal

The extra storage you have purchased only applies to iCloud. Updating your software uses your iPhone's built in storage, which cannot be expanded. Deleting data off of your device such as photos, music, and apps can clear storage for the update. To see how much open storage you have, go to

Settings > General > Usage

Cannot Update 4S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.