Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts cards deleted after sync iMac Mavericks to iPhone

I did a sync between my iMac and iPhone in the last few days. Now a LOT of my Contacts cards are deleted. I have latest updates on both iMac and iPhone. Among the last 5 archive files (each day) shows the files missing also. Lost about 100 cards that I can not remember who they were. Guess I will export each card after creating new cards. Thanks Apple for this great feature on sync process. You really did at good job deleting my cards.

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 10:42 AM

5 replies

Jul 10, 2014 12:11 PM in response to Eric Root

I usually only save 5 archive files on external drive and all of those were AFTER the latest sync that deleted the cards. The first group I looked at had the 150+ cards gone. On looking at other groups the quanity has increased to over 600+ cards gone. At least I did not lose any REALLY important cards. Looks like I will be backing up each card or saving lots of archive files.

Thanks for the reply. I did submit a feedback to Apple (for what is's worth.)

Jul 10, 2014 6:09 PM in response to goatfoot

Here's other questions i have.

If Contacts on the iMac and iPhone are the same with the same time stamp they are not synced? If a card is edited on the iMac it is updated in the iPhone? If a card is edited in the iPhone it is updated on the iMac? I believe all of the 600+ cards were identical.

The cards on the iPhone are good. If i sync now will the cards transfer back to the iMac? If i add just one letter to each card (maybe in the Company field) on the iPhone, those would be the latest copy. and should transfer back to the iMac. An easier process then re-entering all the info on the 600+ cards.

Jul 11, 2014 2:30 PM in response to goatfoot

The Contacts app is real strange!

After my last sync i reported that 600+ cards had be deleted. Well, as I have been re-entering the lost cards I have discovered a VERY strange thing. The cards are still there! But in a different GROUP. When I click on All Contacts and search for a particular card — BANG — there it is. They CHANGED to a different group. Wonderful NEAT feature. The new group has a completely different name and has all the lost contacts. Also, the cards in the other second group have moved to another third group. Seek and find is the next process.

I submitted this to Apple feedback years ago.

One of the problems with contacts app is that when you click on all contacts and search for a card, the result does not show you what group the card is in. It would be REAL neat if each card would indicate what group it is in.

Stayed tuned for further adventures of the Contacts app!

Jul 13, 2014 6:05 AM in response to goatfoot

Checking the About Contacts shows Version 8.0 (1371)

As stated before at the last sync with itunes a BUNCH of cards were lost. I discovered that some of them moved to a different Group. I moved those to the proper Group. OK

The other lost ones that were NOT in the different group were still lost. But are they really lost? NO.

I do a Spotlight search. They appear in the Contacts list in Spotlight. All the information in the lost cards show up in the Spotlight quick view.

Back to Contacts app and I search in All Contacts. There they are. I do a manual look in EACH Group again and find nothing. Back to the All Contacts search and drag / drop them individually to the proper Group.

Neat feature in Contacts 8.0.

Yes I did a Apple icon / Software Update first.

Last update was iTunes version 11.3 Jul 11, 2014. (Extras for HD movies)

Last OS X Update was Version 10.9.4 Jun30, 2014. (WI-FI networks - wake from sleep - Safari 7.0.5)

Submitted this to Apple feedback

Contacts cards deleted after sync iMac Mavericks to iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.