Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iChat is logging me out of Yahoo Messenger

it sometimes takes three or four tries to connect. the effect is that it logs in, then immediately disconnects.

After connecting, it seems to work fine and then it'll log out for no apparent reason, with no warning or message.

I've changed my password (my Yahoo account and in iChat) makes no apparent difference. Yahoo's client doesn't seem to have these issues.

I'm running OSX 10.7.5 (the most recent that will run on my macPro)

any help would be appreciated.

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 11:05 AM

27 replies

Jul 11, 2014 11:14 AM in response to wadefromjacksonville

Hi,

In iChat > Preferences > Accounts there is nothing you can change other than the ID you are using itself (and it's password).

Are you using any third party network filter or Firewall such as Little Snitch ?

I must admit this would tend to block Logging in rather than letting the connection drop.

Do you have any other Account and do they drop connections ?

User uploaded file

7:14 pm Friday; July 11, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Jul 11, 2014 12:22 PM in response to wadefromjacksonville

Hi,

I had not come across this myself but this evening (where I am) Yahoo has logged me Out and back In again twice in the past fifteen minutes.

None of my AIM or Jabber logins have dropped.

This Little Snitch pic shows the connection was remade at 2010 local time (bottom right grey text)

User uploaded file

The AIM one was more than an hour before that when I turned the App ON

User uploaded file

It looks like something at Yahoo's end.

User uploaded file

8:22 pm Friday; July 11, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jul 12, 2014 11:40 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi,

Today (this evening for me) it took me nearly an hour to get signed in.

Checking the Yahoo site gives no clear indication.

ON this page the second item (At 7.35 PM my time) was about logging back in to Yahoo Messenger and was timed 2 hours earlier.

There are not responses to the question at the time I looked.

User uploaded file

7:39 pm Saturday; July 12, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Sep 4, 2015 2:06 PM in response to wadefromjacksonville

The Yahoo disconnects appear to be related to proxy settings. Messages is strange in that it ignores system-wide proxy settings for GTalk and AIM, but adheres to them for Yahoo.

When it connects to Yahoo it will first try to do so through your HTTP proxy. If it cannot connect using the HTTP proxy, it tries a SOCKS proxy (assuming that you have one configured).

In my case Yahoo would initially connect through the HTTP proxy and then disconnect. There is some sort of exchange that goes on between the client and Yahoo after a few minutes of being connected, and it does not like doing this through the HTTP proxy. Strangely, even after telling OS X’s network settings to bypass the the proxy for the two Yahoo-related domains that Messages seems to connect to (info.yahoo.com and messenger.yahooapis.com) these connections continued to be made through the HTTP proxy.

As I mentioned earlier, Messenger will use a SOCKS proxy to connect to Yahoo if it cannot find an HTTP proxy. Since Messages ignores the proxy settings for AIM and GTalk, I created a rule in Little Snitch to block Messages from speaking to the HTTP proxy at all. It is currently connecting to Yahoo through my SOCKS proxy and has remained on-line without a disconnect for an hour now.

I also tried blocking Messages from connecting to both the SOCKS and HTTP proxy using Little Snitch, assuming that it would simply attempt to connect directly to Yahoo’s servers as it does with GTalk and AIM. Strangely, it refused to do so.

It should be noted that Messages as a process only deals with Apple’s stuff. AIM and GTalk are handled through a process called imagent, while Yahoo is dealt with by a process named IMServicePluginAgent. In my case, I had to block IMServicePluginAgent and Messages from using the HTTP proxy.

My scenario may not match other people’s given the slightly convoluted network configuration i have, but some of the info should be helpful in understanding how Messages works.

Sep 5, 2015 12:12 PM in response to qahtani

Hi,

That makes some sense in that the Yahoo part is a Plug-in bolt on rather then being really integrated into the App.

As a result it does not do File Transfers or any of th Audio/Video connections including Screen Sharing.

It has been known since iChat 2.1 when it went AV that the Proxy set up did not work for most people.

Early versions suggested you could set it in the App but when it used the System settings it would do better. (relatively speaking).

User uploaded file

8:12 p.m. Saturday; September 5, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Sep 28, 2015 1:26 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Things were working fine for about a week or two. It's gone back to its old habits since then and I have no idea why. It behaves this way regardless of whether the computer is connected through a proxy or directly to the Internet. Maybe El Capitan will solve this issue.

A couple days ago I played around with the Yahoo.imserviceplugin plist and enabled the SSL, server, and port settings. That got me nowhere.

Sep 28, 2015 1:37 PM in response to qahtani

Hi,

It's weird as today after three attempts the yahoo account has logged in and stayed logged in for about 1/2 hour at this point.

I did look at the System Side of things and used Xcode to open the .plist but found it did not list which port is was using. (Little Snitch says port 443 for th Login and port 80 to get the Buddy List and Buddy pics and the like).

User uploaded file

9:37 p.m. Monday; September 28, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Sep 28, 2015 1:52 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

When I played around with the plist a couple days ago it created a huge mess. If the port/SSL/server settings are enabled, I am not sure where the variables actually get saved. After I tried different settings, I just deleted all of my entries (because that's what hitting the 'default' button appears to do anyway). That's where the fun began. I disabled Yahoo in the Internet Accounts; when I attempted to add it again, and enable Messages, it refused to do so and complained that an invalid port was being supplied. I couldn't change the port number, because that required me to be able to enable the account again in Messages, which I couldn't 😕 I couldn't delete the file containing the port number because I had no idea where it was.

So I ended up reverting to a Time Machine backup from an hour before. While doing that, my cheapo SSD drive must have had something written to a bad block and it died and fell off the drive bus. A day later and with a new SSD installed, I'm back to square one. I don't even use Yahoo to chat with anyone anymore, so I don't know why I care about this at all. I just can't stand broken things.

Sep 28, 2015 1:55 PM in response to qahtani

Hi,

The stuff will try to write to com.apple.ichat.Yahoo.plist in ~/Library/Preferences

AS you says though it is being read by the the Plugin itself in /Library/Messages (completely different Libraries).

User uploaded file

9:55 p.m. Monday; September 28, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

iChat is logging me out of Yahoo Messenger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.