Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto wont update after maverick upgrade

OS X 10.9.4 Mavericks

iPhoto 9.2.3

Hi there,

I upgraded to Mavericks last week and now I can't open iPhoto because it needs to be updated to run with Mavericks, but when trying to update iPhoto I am told:

"This update is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded or cancelled"

and then:

"There was an error in the App Store. Please try again later. (null)"

My iPhoto came preloaded onto my Mac.

I bought my Mac in Florida, USA in May 2011.

I have a NZ iTunes account as of 2012 (not sure if this matters, but I don't see why I should even have to sign in as iPhoto was a standard feature on my new Mac.

I am currently in South Africa.

I have read other queries to this same problem and have tried all of the following suggestions found:

Changed the region from USA to New Zealand, rebooted and tried to update iPhoto (same error messages)

Changed the language from English to Spanish, rebooted and tried to update iPhoto (same error messages)

Followed the links for customer support in the App Store which led me to join this discussion page

Has anyone fixed this problem? Please!

If it's not fixable, how do I retrieve all of my photos stored in iPhoto???

Thank you for any input.

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 11:28 AM

2 replies

Jul 10, 2014 11:34 AM in response to Kimbean1

Contact App Store support. There's a link on the right hand side of the App Store Window. They're the only ones who can sort out account issues.

I'm not sure why that lead you back to here, but that's where you need to get the fix for your problem. Note the 'Contact Support' option on the left hand side of the page.

Jul 10, 2014 4:10 PM in response to Kimbean1

Please test after each of the following steps that you haven't already tried. Stop when the problem is resolved. Back up all data before making any changes. Keep in mind that no one here represents Apple or can help with customer-service issues.

Step 1

A purchased app can only be updated by signing in to the App Store with the same Apple ID that was originally used to buy it. There's no way around that limitation, which also applies to free apps. If you can't sign in with the buyer's ID, delete the app and reinstall it. You'll have to pay for it again, if applicable.

Step 2

If you get the alert when trying to update a bundled iLife app, select the Purchases page in the App Store and locate the app in your purchase history. If there's a button marked ACCEPT on the right, click it.

If you have a used Mac, the bundled apps were linked to the original owner's Apple ID and can't be transferred to you. Reportedly, customer service has issued redemption codes to some second owners who asked, but it's not guaranteed.

Step 3

If you're trying to update iLife or iWork apps that were installed from a purchased DVD, or if you have a refurbished Mac bought directly from Apple, contact App Store customer service for a redemption code. You may be asked for the part number of the DVD.

Step 4

From the App Store menu bar, select

Store ▹ View My Account

Enter your Apple ID password at the prompt. At the lower right corner of the window that opens, click the Reset button. Close the window.

See also: remove app

Keywords: refunded canceled

iphoto wont update after maverick upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.