Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how long should i wait before re-entering passcode after 15 minutes

ive locked myself out of my iphone 4s and cant get back into it. i wanted to change my password and kind of got mixed up so im not sure what my passcode is anymore. my phone locked and my phone for 15 minutes now and if i try again ill be locked out for an hour to an hour and a half. how long should i wait before i try my passcode again without it disabling my phone for an hour ? should i wait a whole day? can i wait an hour and after 6 attempts itll keep me out for a minute ?

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 10:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 5:22 PM

It doesn't matter how long you wait. Each attempt will still get a longer wait. If you have synced the phone recently with iTunes you should be able to connect it to iTunes and back it up, then restore iOS and your backup. If you are prompted to enter your passcode on the phone when you try you haven't backed up recently enough. Then you will have to restore it as New, wiping out all of your content. If you were clever enough to set up automatic back up to iCloud you can still restore the iCloud backup.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2014 5:22 PM in response to cljordan99

It doesn't matter how long you wait. Each attempt will still get a longer wait. If you have synced the phone recently with iTunes you should be able to connect it to iTunes and back it up, then restore iOS and your backup. If you are prompted to enter your passcode on the phone when you try you haven't backed up recently enough. Then you will have to restore it as New, wiping out all of your content. If you were clever enough to set up automatic back up to iCloud you can still restore the iCloud backup.

how long should i wait before re-entering passcode after 15 minutes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.