Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers file missing after permissions error / hard drive full

Have an 11-inch Mid-2011 MacBook Air (1.6ghz Intel Core i5, 4GB 1333MHZ DDR3 memory, 120GB hard drive) and experienced a strange problem with Numbers (v3.2) last night. I was working on a spreadsheet when I got an error that I didn't have permission to save the file. At the same time, I noticed a background notification that the startup disk was full. Thinking I probably just needed to free up some space, I quit out of Numbers (hadn't made many changes to the file yet), emptied the recycle bin, then tried to reopen the spreadsheet and found that it was gone. I have a link to it in my Dock, but that was now the question mark of a missing file. Looking for it by hand, it had disappeared from its previous directory and a spotlight search returned no results. In Numbers it doesn't even appear in the list of recent files anymore - it's like it never existed. I tried a restart (which has fixed some simple permissions issues for me before) but the file is still nowhere to be found.

I'm currently running a data recovery program (Stellar Phoenix), but seeing as that's going to take awhile to scan the hard drive, any other suggestions for what happened to it / ways to retrieve it? If the data recovery works, where should I even be looking? (I do have a backup but its a few months old, so finding a more recent version of the file would be VERY helpful).

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 11:33 AM

There are no replies.

Numbers file missing after permissions error / hard drive full

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.