Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.5 Install Disc Issues

I am close to tearing my hair out.

So I have an iMac (Late 2009) that I'm prepping to sell. i did what was needed in regards to backing everything up and Erasing the HD, etc... so the next step I needed to take was to reinstall OS.

Now, I had Mavericks installed on the system, which wasn't what it came with, being a 2009 model. I am pretty sure it arrived with Leopard, which I have a disk for (10.5).

Now i can't seem to boot from this disk, intact even selecting it in the Disk Utility section as a StartUp disk doesn't work. I select reinstall OS X and all it wants me to do is reinstall Mavericks. I can't do this because it then asks for my Apple ID.

Any ideas because I'm close to smashing it up!!!

Thanks

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 12:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 1:09 PM

That model requires 10.6.2 or later. It will not boot from a Leopard DVD. You need the retail Snow Leopard disc:

You can purchase Snow Leopard through the Apple Store:Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.). The price is $19.99 plus tax. You will be sent physical media by mail after placing your order.

You can purchase replacement DVDs from Apple:

Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2014 1:09 PM in response to CalTM

That model requires 10.6.2 or later. It will not boot from a Leopard DVD. You need the retail Snow Leopard disc:

You can purchase Snow Leopard through the Apple Store:Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.). The price is $19.99 plus tax. You will be sent physical media by mail after placing your order.

You can purchase replacement DVDs from Apple:

Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.

10.5 Install Disc Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.