Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unbootable iPhone 5 in DFU mode won't restore in iTunes

I recently acquired an iPhone 5 from a friend. He gave it to me because it wouldn't boot, and I'm the "top tech dude around", and he thought I could fix it. I thought that I would be able to as well, but I was quickly shut down when I found that when I put it in DFU mode (I could tell because it would show up as DFU mode in iTunes) and tried to restore it, with the offline iOS 7.1.2 ipsw that I downloaded from the Apple Developer Member Center, everything would go perfectly well until it came to the point where it "waits for my iPhone.

It waits... and waits... and waits... and waits... and waits... until eventually, I am presented with this error report:User uploaded file

I googled the error code, like a good tech dude, and I came to this site:

iOS: Restore errors 4005, 4013, and 4014

The only things that applied to me were a new cable, and updating iTunes, as I had a slightly messed up cable, and I was unaware that a new version of iTunes had been released. I haven't been able to test it on a different computer yet, but I will as soon as I can, but I don;t know that it will make that much of a difference.

None of these things have worked so far (in exception of the different computer thing, of course, because I haven't been able to do that yet), and I am out of options. I would really like some assistance with this ASAP, as my friend is really wanting his iPhone back, and it is pretty much brand new. I don't know what he did to it, because it has absolutely no physical damage or flaws to it yet, as he has had it in an Otter Box the entire time he has had it.

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 1:08 PM

3 replies

Jul 10, 2014 1:47 PM in response to Farticus10

Download and install the new iTunes and check to see if it does work. If not, completely remove iTunes and all related software and reinstall it.

Removing and reinstalling iTunes and other software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

Use the Control Panel to uninstall iTunes and related software components in the following order and then restart your computer:

1. iTunes
  2. Apple Software Update
  3. Apple Mobile Device Support
  4. Bonjour
  5. Apple Application Support (iTunes 9 or later)

Confirm that the following folders have been removed: (32-bit)

• C:\Program Files\Bonjour
  • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support
  • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support
  • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\CoreFP
  • C:\Program Files\iTunes\
  • C:\Program Files\iPod\
    Note: Follow the additional steps at the end of this article if you get the alert "Cannot delete iPodService.exe: It is being used by another person or program."

If you have a 64-bit version of Windows, you'll need to confirm that the following folders have been removed:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Bonjour
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\CoreFP
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\iPod\
    Note: Follow the additional steps at the end of this article if you receive the alert "Cannot delete iPodService.exe: It is being used by another person or program."

Download and install the new iTunes

https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Unbootable iPhone 5 in DFU mode won't restore in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.